Parents paid to drive children to school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If only there was a bus...

tom73

Guru
If it was targeted support due to issues with capacity with SEN transport. To help parents with providing some sort of transport themselves. Ok but this is just paying parents who can most likely afford it anyway never mind the other issues with this idea.
I did hear about one council that is spending some of the covid travel money on closing all the roads in front of schools in the morning and at home time. To all but walking and cycling which sounds a much better idea all round.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The irony is that Poshshire council have been given half a million in govern,ent funding romincrease post covid cycling and walking uptake - an easy win here in pursuit of that goal, and someone else would be paying for it too, but they'd rather not be that sensible.

Landsurfer

Veteran
If it was targeted support due to issues with capacity with SEN transport. To help parents with providing some sort of transport themselves. Ok but this is just paying parents who can most likely afford it anyway never mind the other issues with this idea.
I did hear about one council that is spending some of the covid travel money on closing all the roads in front of schools in the morning and at home time. To all but walking and cycling which sounds a much better idea all round.
Our girls primary school has done the same ... both sides of the road .... my wife is disabled and unable to walk the children to school but i'm sure at 9 and 8 they can walk the mile and a half to school themselves .... just a few roads to cross ....never mind .....

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Our girls primary school has done the same ... both sides of the road .... my wife is disabled and unable to walk the children to school but i'm sure at 9 and 8 they can walk the mile and a half to school themselves .... just a few roads to cross ....never mind .....
Surely, common sense should prevail here in your case? Have you tried contacting the School or Council regarding your specific needs?

Landsurfer

Veteran
Surely, common sense should prevail here in your case? Have you tried contacting the School or Council regarding your specific needs?
The head mistress said that the barricades both sides of the road where an essential part of their safety case for reopening .... we should find an available adult to take them to school ....

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Save your breath. This scheme is for secondary school pupils - primary pupils aren't entitled to bus travel as they should live in the local catchment anyway.

Even then, in the clear majorty of cases it will be quite safe and appropriate for these secondary pupils to be able to walk or cycle. Everyone can cite their one legged nephew who has no head and can't see the traffic, and its an utter irrelevance - just like the majority of adults who can but choose not to do so out of laziness, the majorty of these secondary pupils are quite able to walk or cycle, and all my other learned friemds appear to agree that the money would be better spent on encouraging them to do so - barricades and temporary school pedestrian zones etc are not the matter under discussion.

Last edited:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Bramley Sunnyside Primary School Rotherham

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm not sure that even requires covid money with recent rule changes, but I could be wrong. It was discussed in more detail in Streets Ahead: Episode 7: School Streets and Play Streets https://shows.acast.com/streets-ahead/episodes/episode-7-school-streets-and-play-streets

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but surely they'd go off that kind of distance by themselves out playing with their pals, ditto walking to school. I certainly walked to school on my own at that age - maybe 10 minutes rather than 20 but not hugely less.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but surely they'd go off that kind of distance by themselves out playing with their pals, ditto walking to school. I certainly walked to school on my own at that age - maybe 10 minutes rather than 20 but not hugely less.
Sarcastic... no .... i was walking 2 miles to school from 6 ... but that was then, this is now ..... and their banned from cycling to school unless accompanied by an adult ... banned meaning they cannot enter school grounds with the bike .... The honey mummies would burst out crying if you suggested the kids walk to school themselves ....
I totally agree with your sentiment ..

Top Bottom