Paris-Brest-Paris 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Just wondering why there was no thread for this when it's so much nearer than LEL :biggrin:

Any takers? or is everybody reserving the discussion for the other place? :hello:

yello

I think the other place is generally considered the place for audax discussions, questions, etc. I know that I ask over there with any serious type questions. Imo, and with no disrespects to anyone here, CC does have a different vibe and average user profile.

I'm undecided whether I'm riding PBP next year. I'm riding a BRM400 this weekend but that really is only to give me the option of riding PBP. Tbh, I'm not at all confident that I'll finish (it'd be only my 2nd DNF) so I'm thinking of it more as a training ride for an actual qualifier later! Either way, I might look for a 600 to do. 400 is my least favoured distance.

Are you intending to ride PBP then Fiona?

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Hi Yello
I'm contemplating it :wahhey:

It's something I've been meaning to do since I started cycling seriously back in the early '80's in Western Australia - a number of my clubmates came over for PBP 87 but by then I'd already moved to Brisbane so missed the build up as well as the trip. But the first 300km event we ran was a real eye-opener and got me onto 12 and 24hour TTs just to see how far I could ride.
I'm hoping to build up to a couple of 200km events and a 400km this summer from a fairly low longest ride - just to see how I cope with the big mileage again on an upright. After my back problems of the last few years it's a bit of an experiment but there's always the fall-back position (:o) of a recumbent. I suspect that the mileage itself isn't the problem so much as the hills - I'm way heavier than I used to be so the hills are a much bigger obstacle and losing weight is a parallel project.

PalmerSperry

Fiona N said:
Just wondering why there was no thread for this when it's so much nearer than LEL :wacko:

PBP is on my "to do" list, but I think it will be PBP2015 in my case. This has the positive side of giving me time to finish (yeah, right :biggrin:) learning German before attempting to learn a little French which I think might be useful.

Since I also have ambitious ideas about doing La Marmotte at some point, for which I'll need the upright but intend to do both LEL & PBP on the 'bent, I may have some vague scheduling conflicts.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I tried to suggest on the LEL thread that people might want to consider PBP as either a supplement or an alternative. The difference in atmosphere between the two events makes them hard to compare; the French version is the most incredible celebration of cycling that winds its way through a country that gives it support every inch of the way. The cycling is only a small part of what must rank as one of the best events on the planet.

You are right to have respect for the hills on PBP. Whilst there are only a few memorable individual climbs, the road is always up and down and by the end you will have amassed around 32,000 ft of ascent. But there's no where as steep as those silly climbs favoured on British Audaxes, so getting the miles on rolling terrain is the key.

Greenbank

Über Member
PBP is hillier (overall) than LEL and the time limits are tighter, you get 40 hours to do the first 600km to Brest and then 50 hours to get back. There's also the language barrier.

On the other hand, you've got ten times as many people riding PBP than LEL and the towns/villages along the way make a huge effort to support the ride, it's a big thing for them. All of the towns/villages on the LEL route had absolutely no idea what was going on.

They're different rides so it's hard to say one is harder than the other, but just because it's 200km shorter doesn't make it any easier.

Like yello I'm undecided. I did a BRM 400km ride last weekend just in case I want to but baby GB makes it difficult to get the time to put the miles in and then, next year, do the 200, 300, 400 and 600 qualifiers and then the ride itself. We'll see.

yello

Tim Bennet. said:
getting the miles on rolling terrain is the key.

That's pretty much all I have around me. Luckily, there are couple of the short and nasty types too, if I'm feeling nostalgic. xx(

The main plus factor for me riding PBP is purely to experience it. For the reasons Tim gives. I'd like to be part of something like that. If I do it and don't like it then fine, but I'd like to be able to find that out! On the minus side, last year's LEL really did knock my enthusiasm for cycling. Not the ride itself but the training rides I was doing. To be honest, cycling stopped being fun for me. I was glad to get back to normal after LEL. Doing PBP could mean going through the same curve again. Hence my indecision... but I have a sneaky suspicion that it'll be 'yes' come the time.

Fiona, you don't have to make a decision now. Just build it up and see how it goes.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Was wondering how many of you are "gearing up" for a trip to PBP? Time to start getting in your qualifiers. It's gonna be a big 'un. Anyone know how many spaces are open to UK riders?

yello

385 slots for GB riders. Should be enough methinks give-or-take. You can see the full allocations on the PBP site. I wonder how many Japanese riders will now ride. :sad:

I've got my first qualifier, the 200, a week Sunday with the 300 2 weeks after that... but I still haven't actually decided whether I'm going to ride PBP or not yet! I probably will, I'm just dithering around like I normally do. It's going to be a "big 'un" that's for sure. In truth, it's partly that that puts me off.

yello

Randochap! Blimey, didn't twig it was you! How are things going? Forgive me, I have to ask as I'm hazy on the details - have you fully recovered?

Greenbank

Über Member
200 qualifier done (Up The 'Uts last weekend), and I've put entries in for the Invicta 300 (9-APR), Severn Across 400 (30-APR) and Kernow & South West 600 (28-MAY).

Did a BRM 400 last year (Snowdon & Coast 400) which takes away any worries about the UK running out of places. (I don't think it'll be a problem for anyone who did a BRM ride in 2010.)

I've already got flights booked and a hotel booked before/after. (Time is tight before/after PBP otherwise I'd cycle there/back.)

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I take my hat off to all of you. Longest so far is 160km could do a 200 (I think) but cant imagine doing anything much longer.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm planning on trying. it falls on my annual leave. but, qualifiers not going well, the first 200km was too snowy for slicks (so i stayed in bed), the second (which fiona did), i suffered my first ever migraine so wasn't up to it(paid the fee, but didn't make the start). my 300km is in 60 odd days. just need to book in another 200km (i hate wasting £6)

Top Bottom