Paris Brest Paris 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This yesterday afternoon on @mmmmartin :

Martin PBP.jpg

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Er, hello. Just found this thread. Thanks for your concern.
Am fine, no problems. Currently on the ferry from Caen.
Was terribly slow, couldn't get the legs to move the bike at all. Very much slower than on the Brussels Paris Brussels 600 and that was only six weeks ago. Something wrong with my body, it usually does what it's told but I tried everything, even had a 20 sleep in a chair at the first food stop, and that was only on the first night when hardly anyone sleeps. Then had a meal at a restaurant but to no avail. Had a chat to Frank at one point (he slowed as he passed me) and we went through everything we could think of, I'd been eating a lot, drinking enough to keep the widdle a nice light colour, etc etc.
Hey ho.
I tried to get a good night's sleep, nearly six hours on the door of the gym which was excellent, at Fougeres and had a think about struggling on this morning, but I'd have had to do 60mph to reach the next control in time and it was pretty obvious I'd have reached Brest when it had completely shut down.
The tracker shows my speed even to the first control was below the 15kph audax minimum. Amazingly much slower than six weeks ago, not sure why. Was rested, weather perfect, didn't even get a puncture.
There are some pix of me smiling here
http://t.co/BLM950LUTZ
Must say, the route is really dull but the frenchies were brilliant. They stand by the road all night and clap as you pass, and hand out water. Groups of children hand out coffee. Villages are festooned with old bikes painted in bright colours. This all helps, and they know how hard this sort of thing is.
Once, in the depths of the night in some random village, a random old man with a beard was standing, waiting, by the side of the road. As I passed he said: "bon courage, mon brave."
Wonderful people.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks all. I finished yesterday at 13.39 in 68:54 which I'm happy with.

All OK apart from being left in bed at Brest for 6 hours when no-one woke me and needing a sleep in a field at 1100k.

The Ridgeback Platinum performed brilliantly even with lots of kit and a 53:39 front. Loads of supported Vedettes with motorhomes - I'd suggest most of them had minimal kit. The first 300k came up in under 12 hours!

TT'd the last 15 miles which was a bad idea!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Olaf would seem to have taken a break at mortagne, sensible as he has the time. Looks like he's going to make it. I'm delighted for him.

Tim has posted on Faceache an hour ago that at 6.30am the crowds are cheering him on with 30 miles to go. I never doubted for one moment that he would make it. He did LEL in a good time and that's harder than PBP.

Booyaa

Veteran
Thanks all. I finished yesterday at 13.39 in 68:54 which I'm happy with.

All OK apart from being left in bed at Brest for 6 hours when no-one woke me and needing a sleep in a field at 1100k.

The Ridgeback Platinum performed brilliantly even with lots of kit and a 53:39 front. Loads of supported Vedettes with motorhomes - I'd suggest most of them had minimal kit. The first 300k came up in under 12 hours!

TT'd the last 15 miles which was a bad idea!
Great effort, congratulations. Well deserved rest time I think now!

Top Bottom