Paris-Nice SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Great stage today,confirmed a few
things...Yates was class,Martinez deserves a shot as leader for Ineos at a GT....and finally Pogi "will" win the TDF ! ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So no punishment of Roglič for littering? Letizia Borghesi was disqualified for less!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
So no punishment of Roglič for littering? Letizia Borghesi was disqualified for less!
You referring to him discarding his leg warmers? I did notice that and wondered if the commentators would pick up on it.

I've noticed a number of incidents of discarding stuff (not just Rog) in recent races and thought that either it must have been happening in an approved zone or perhaps the originally strict rules had been turned down a bit.

Given that the Borghesi incisent was last year, perhaps it is the case that the application of the rules has been toned down? I dunno.

Or perhaps it's just a typical pro cycling thing of rules being related how the commissaires happen to be feeling that day.

mjr

You referring to him discarding his leg warmers? I did notice that and wondered if the commentators would pick up on it.
Pick up on it, they did. Leg warmers, arm warmers, ...
Or perhaps it's just a typical pro cycling thing of rules being related how the commissaires happen to be feeling that day.
Or usual problem of commissaires at ASO races being very timid when it could affect results significantly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I understand both were options but neither seem to have been used. Back to the bad old days?
There's a thread on the subject on Twitter here

View: https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/1503112194002726912

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I can't read that - Twitter insists that I log in. I used to be able to browse tweets without an account... Has something changed, or has that thread been made members only for some reason? :wacko:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I can't read that - Twitter insists that I log in. I used to be able to browse tweets without an account... Has something changed, or has that thread been made members only for some reason? :wacko:
Try this,

https://twitter.com/nedboulting/

Then scroll down to find this tweet
I may have missed something (I often do) - but many riders, and most visibly Roglič, repeatedly dropped clothing and gels on the road outside of litter zones. Was there an exception made by the @UCI_cycling commissaires? If not then the rules for real?

The most interesting reply is from Stefan Küng who says
For the clothing, it gets picked up by our teamcars in the race. We tell them where we drop it and they pick it up. For the bidons you are allowed to drop them to spectators nowadays (normally only on uphills) for the rest, it shouldn't happen 🙄

And this link
https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/di...e-and-the-rest-of-2021/6XySEhYGcW29ASdj9TNNrT

The rule stating that riders will not be sanctioned for giving bottles to spectators in climbs situated within the final 50 kilometres of events or stages has been renewed.
[...]
in specific race situations which might lead riders to dispose of bottles or waste outside the zones provided for this purpose (for example when echelons are formed), which is forbidden, the Commissaires’ Panel, as authorised by the UCI regulations in force, shall have the possibility of not sanctioning the rider if it deems the situation exceptional.

Last edited:

mjr

I would bet that no race car picked up the four warmers and jacket Roglič threw away, even if he did radio it back to them when it looked like he barely had the energy and coordination left to remove them, but I'm not in Nice, so couldn't go look before they blew away. Even if the car did stop five times to pick them up and somehow still caught Rog and WVA up on the descent, such high-profile public littering is a demonstration of utter stylelessness and lack of care of the sport's image.

The commissaires probably do deem "leading the GC at an ASO race" as an exceptional situation allowing them not to apply the rules. They bottled it again, even though this one was not a dropped bottle.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
utter stylelessness
Stylelessness is itself not a very stylish word

But I get what you mean.

Edit to add ... it's not just the race leaders though. It application of the littering rules seems to have been lax this season. No, I can't go back and point to specific incidents, but I definitely remember tutting while watching various races.

Last edited:
Top Bottom