Paris-Roubaix 2018 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very tragic indeed. He died doing what he loved doing, but that is little consolation at such a young age.

A sad day.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just woken to this sad news. RIP.

It seems as though the poor lad had an underlying heart condition that no one was aware of.
I haven’t seen anything about this. I would seem very odd to go undiagnosed in a sport where heart monitors are so universal. All pro sportspeople should under go full screening IMO.

If it's the one that I saw a clip of, there didn't seem to be an incident. Just rode into the verge and fell. Very sad to see, but hopefully he went doing something he enjoyed.
Cycling News is reporting that there is no footage of the incident, but it appears he came down by himself.

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I haven’t seen anything about this. I would seem very odd to go undiagnosed in a sport where heart monitors are so universal. All pro sportspeople should under go full screening IMO.
Gianni Meersman raced for years before they found out that he had heart problems and had to retire. There was also James Taylor the cricketer and Fabrice Muamba the footballer, to name two others.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Gianni Meersman raced for years before they found out that he had heart problems and had to retire. There was also James Taylor the cricketer and Fabrice Muamba the footballer, to name two others.
Others with heart problems found long after they started racing include Robert Gesink, Lars Boom and even Eddy Merckx. Unless the right test is done at the right time, I think it might not be found and even then, it might not have shown when the scan was done.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Just read that Dillier only returned to racing last weekend after breaking his thumb in Strade Bianche. Very impressive performance by him.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Just read that Dillier only returned to racing last weekend after breaking his thumb in Strade Bianche. Very impressive performance by him.
Dillier describes seeing Sagan approach from out of the dust as like an “Angel and a Devil”
He knew Sagan could pull him along to a high finish, but had to work with him to achieve this, knowing that he would in all probability be out sprinted.

It was nice to see someone prepared to do the work in order to get 2nd knowing that they probably couldn’t win. Too many times you see riders cut their nose of to spite their face.
After all he gained huge exposure for himself and the team, whilst helping Sagan win the Classic race his talent deserves, a win-win really.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It was nice to see someone prepared to do the work in order to get 2nd knowing that they probably couldn’t win.
Returning from injury to his first Roubaix finish, second is still a great result, plus he maybe hoped that his track background might give him an outside chance against ex-MTB/XC Sagan - heading straight for the hoardings was a telltale sign of a man with a plan for a track finish... but he was still outpowered by Sagan who, after all, had spent only 50km out of the peloton instead of 190. From the moment it was him and Sagan and most commentators seemed to be calling it for Sagan, Dillier really had nothing to lose as long as they didn't get caught by the chasing group. Still a great result for Dillier IMO.

Top Bottom