Paris Roubaix highlights ITV4 19/4 morning...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
10.25am to 11.30am according to the programme guide... thanks for the heads up!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Just a BUMP to remind people: ITV4, Saturday morning, 10.25 - 11.30

Be inspired, because the 'sportive' over the same course is only run every two years, and the edition this June still has lots of entries available!

You know you want to!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
http://asso.nordnet.fr/vcrcyclotourisme/Site web/Paris Roubaix Cyclo/PRx2008Anglais.htm

It seems to be in English this time! Although I think it's gaining in popularity, it's still fantastically low key. Nothing like the Etape with all their 'official tour companies' etc. I filled in the form, put some Euro notes in the envelope and sent it off. I didn't hear anything back, but they were expecting me when I pitched up at reception! There were still people entering 'on the line' at 3.30 the next morning. However they are sticklers about having lights for the first couple of hours. (use something small and cheap, because if you can't take them off and put them in your pockets, the pavé will have them off anyway!)

The only 'things' you have to give some thought to, are the logistics. There are buses laid on to do the shuttle to either end, and I presume some sort of 'broom wagon' for those who capitulate (or their bikes do) to the rigours of the pavé. However whatever you do it, it does make for a long day out.

We camped near the start and had a back up car between a couple of us, with spare wheels, bikes, etc, but it was a luxury as we didn't even get a single puncture between us.

I would certainly do it unsupported another time: There are plenty of decent pit stops and refreshments, and I think if you got into dire straits, there are so many enthusiastic spectators and club cars and things, that no one is going to be left stranded.

Always opt for the souvenir. It's heavy when you have to carry it away after the finish, but you will smile every time you look at it on your mantle shelf for years to come - even after the sensation has returned to your arse, hands, wrists, shoulders, feet, etc.

Top Bottom