Paris-Roubaix **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Just saw that David Millar nearly didn't finish. He stopped after one lap of the velodrome: 5 minutes later someone pointed out he hadn't completed the course and he then rode the final lap.

thom

____
Maybe I am the only one (well, at least I am already supported in this opinion by the Misses)... however I didn't much enjoy this version.

• There was a high tempo of the peloton the full day, but the strong guys waited way too long to attack. The wind apparently was the biggest factor for this (as said by a lot of people in the interviews afterwards and highlighted by the commentary during the race)
  • Boonen and GT(maybe perhaps he wasn't even team leader) were about the only who had the guts to go early for it, however half of the group didn't want to cooperate, basically nullifying their chances at getting much of an advantage (and largely choking Boonen and GTs legs already)
  • When Vanmarcke and Cancellara (in a lesser extent) finally decided to put the pedal down (too late imo), it seemed that again not enough people were interested to cooperate/stay ahead (especially between the secteurs). And perhaps what was even more the problem, the were not strong enough to make the difference big enough (again I believe because of above reasons)
  • When the group of 11 got together, it was predictable what the outcome would be:
    • either OPQS would jump away and stay away or it would chase down all other attempts
    • in the sprint Degenkolb would take it, since he clearly was the best and fittest sprinter still around (Sagan being visibly clearly knackered those last 10K)
Vanmarcke even said my thoughts during the finish in an interview after the finish "I didn't want to chase Terpstra, since I would be called the dumbass again who helped somebody else i.e Degenkolb win"

Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed Paris Roubaix because of the suspension between the secteurs (e.g. Vanmarck and Vandenbergh escaping, Cancellara needing to make up the difference with 2 groups,...) as well as on the cobblestones (e.g. Cancellara flooring it, Stybar holding on for dear live in the rear wheel of Cancellara). This year I felt it was only half the race.
I hear what you're saying and visually I agree, there wasn't the spectacular decisive moment that normally occurs.

This is quite an interesting take on the race for me:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...roubaix-analysis-terpstra-picks-moment-120229

Bike races get won in a panoply of different ways - the cumulative effects of past experiences rather neutralised the big shark, Cancellara this time. That Boonen was deputed to play Vandenbergh's role was key to changing the dynamic of the finale is interesting and shows OPQS to be a determined team that learn quickly and in doing so they succeeded in outwitting a decent sized bunch and the "strongest" individual riders. I quite like the cunning that goes into making that happen even though it made it look a bit like some of the big guys went out with a whimper.

Hont

Guru

That's good analysis. To add to that, Thomas said he was cooked so couldn't follow Terpstra. Wiggins had done a big effort not long before so presumably was not able to respond (although he's not stated that as a reason and it wouldn't surprise me if he was just being selfish). It's such fine margins that make the difference between success and failure. Last week OPQS had a rider up front not working, because Terpstra and Boonen were behind. Same this week (except it was Stybar not Vandenbergh) but this time it played out.

I hear what you're saying and visually I agree, there wasn't the spectacular decisive moment that normally occurs.

This is quite an interesting take on the race for me:
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/raci...roubaix-analysis-terpstra-picks-moment-120229

Bike races get won in a panoply of different ways - the cumulative effects of past experiences rather neutralised the big shark, Cancellara this time. That Boonen was deputed to play Vandenbergh's role was key to changing the dynamic of the finale is interesting and shows OPQS to be a determined team that learn quickly and in doing so they succeeded in outwitting a decent sized bunch and the "strongest" individual riders. I quite like the cunning that goes into making that happen even though it made it look a bit like some of the big guys went out with a whimper.

Good article. I wonder now, from reading that and other interviews whether Wiggins should not have had a pop and why he ultimately didn't. There's a good chance he would have been marked but equally, there's a good chance he may have got the jump as everyone was watching the big favourites, who equally would not have wanted to bring Degenkolb and Sagan back if he had gone. If he truly did have the legs, then it was an opportunity missed. I'd assumed he didn't until I read the post race interviews.

thom

____
Good article. I wonder now, from reading that and other interviews whether Wiggins should not have had a pop and why he ultimately didn't. There's a good chance he would have been marked but equally, there's a good chance he may have got the jump as everyone was watching the big favourites, who equally would not have wanted to bring Degenkolb and Sagan back if he had gone. If he truly did have the legs, then it was an opportunity missed. I'd assumed he didn't until I read the post race interviews.
Well as soon as the group of 6 riders (2 sky - Thomas & Wiggins, 2 OPQS - Boonen & Terpstra, 1 Garmin - Langeveld, 1 Giant-Shimano - Arndt), as soon as they caught Sagan, Canc, Deg, Vanm and Stybar, Wiggins did have a good pop at going for a long one. It was about 9km from the end I think. There was just sufficient energy in the others to shut him down.
Perhaps in hindsight he thinks he might have realised OPQS would make attacks and that he should have waited to try to be a part of one of those.

For me he gets credit for that attack but on reflection I do think Geraint Thomas did more work and was stronger on the day than Wiggins.

Well as soon as the group of 6 riders (2 sky - Thomas & Wiggins, 2 OPQS - Boonen & Terpstra, 1 Garmin - Langeveld, 1 Giant-Shimano - Arndt), as soon as they caught Sagan, Canc, Deg, Vanm and Stybar, Wiggins did have a good pop at going for a long one. It was about 9km from the end I think. There was just sufficient energy in the others to shut him down.
Perhaps in hindsight he thinks he might have realised OPQS would make attacks and that he should have waited to try to be a part of one of those.

For me he gets credit for that attack but on reflection I do think Geraint Thomas did more work and was stronger on the day than Wiggins.
Did he, I read it but didn't see it. Probably because I was trying to find another feed that wasn't frozen. Curses.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Haven't actually seen the finish yet but I've got it recorded to watch later...

yeah - it was closed down quickly but I did think for a moment that maybe he was about to pull something classy

Shame. It's the kind of scenario I envisaged for him winning the race. You'd think that on his day, Brad is quite capable of pulling off something like that. Guess it wasn't his day though. But I like Terpstra so I'm pleased for him.

Good to see G there at the death again. Shame he ended up playing domestique if he was Sky's strongest man on the day. Sounds like the team missed Stannard as well. Good effort by Luke Rowe too.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's no reason why Wiggins couldn't have pulled off an effort similar to Terpstra's even if there would have been 2 OPQS to shut it down. In theory Sky were actually in the same postion re Terpstra's attak with BW and GT. Nobody knew how knackered they were.
It's a question of timing, luck and experience which OPQS had and Wiggins should have been acquiring by doing other races this season.

Peteaud

Veteran
Maybe I am the only one (well, at least I am already supported in this opinion by the Misses)... however I didn't much enjoy this version.

• There was a high tempo of the peloton the full day, but the strong guys waited way too long to attack. The wind apparently was the biggest factor for this (as said by a lot of people in the interviews afterwards and highlighted by the commentary during the race)
  • Boonen and GT(maybe perhaps he wasn't even team leader) were about the only who had the guts to go early for it, however half of the group didn't want to cooperate, basically nullifying their chances at getting much of an advantage (and largely choking Boonen and GTs legs already)
  • When Vanmarcke and Cancellara (in a lesser extent) finally decided to put the pedal down (too late imo), it seemed that again not enough people were interested to cooperate/stay ahead (especially between the secteurs). And perhaps what was even more the problem, the were not strong enough to make the difference big enough (again I believe because of above reasons)
  • When the group of 11 got together, it was predictable what the outcome would be:
    • either OPQS would jump away and stay away or it would chase down all other attempts
    • in the sprint Degenkolb would take it, since he clearly was the best and fittest sprinter still around (Sagan being visibly clearly knackered those last 10K)
Vanmarcke even said my thoughts during the finish in an interview after the finish "I didn't want to chase Terpstra, since I would be called the dumbass again who helped somebody else i.e Degenkolb win"

Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed Paris Roubaix because of the suspension between the secteurs (e.g. Vanmarck and Vandenbergh escaping, Cancellara needing to make up the difference with 2 groups,...) as well as on the cobblestones (e.g. Cancellara flooring it, Stybar holding on for dear live in the rear wheel of Cancellara). This year I felt it was only half the race.

I agree with you to a point.

Last year i was on the edge of my seat right to the end, this year not quite as much.

Still loved every second of it, and it really is on my list of places / races to see.

Top Bottom