Paris to Munich via the Black Forest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I am working out a route for this in late July. Any tips appreciated. Particularly if anyone has ridden the Kinzigtal-Radweg from Offenburg to Freudenstadt? It looks downhill all the way east-west which is the direction for which it is promoted, therefore uphill all the way I want to do it with some 8-12% sections so I would like to benefit from others' experience....

mcr

Veteran
Bear in mind that Freudenstadt is the highest town in the Black Forest! I did the Murgtal-Radweg from Rastatt to Freudenstadt a few years ago, which has a similar trajectory - a nice ride, but the last pull up to the summit was a killer (and had to walk it). Onwards from there I took the Glatt valley down to where it meets the Neckar, where you could turn south (upstream) towards the headwaters of the Danube or east towards Tubingen along the nicest stretch of the middle Neckar. Skimpy report with maps here.

If you are interested in getting from A to B rather directly and don't mind riding on (mainly local) roads w/o a dedicated cycle path, I'd suggest you have a look at http://www.radweit.de/index/ybergros.html . The Murgtal-Radweg is part of the radweit route from Karlsruhe/Rastatt to Konstanz am Bodensee (or Lake Constance as you call it). I took that route as part of my tour from Kaiserslautern to Salzburg in June '15 and enjoyed it a lot. If your time allows and you prefer rides that involve some climbing (as I do) rather than following river valleys, I would recommend the Rastatt/Konstanz tour, a ferry ride on Lake Constance to Lindau (or just ride there along the north/south shore), and then follow the most spectacular (and demanding) of Germany's long distance cycling paths, the http://www.bodensee-koenigssee-radweg.de , which you may leave at Füssen, Bad Tölz, or even Rosenheim to turn for Munich.
btw.: As for getting to Rastatt, the cable ferry between Seltz (F) and Plittersdorf is quite nice.

Oliver

OP
OP
Gordon P

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Thanks for all this @oliver_f. I am about to go to Belgium for a few days (nothing to do with my attitude to hills!) I shall look carefully at these options when I get back.
The plan is to visit Munich briefly & then walk 8 days on the Via Alpina from Kreuth to Füssen so I could even leave the bike at Füssen & pick it up later!
Rougly how many days from Rastatt to Füssen?

Top Bottom