Park Bottom bracket tapping tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I'm getting contradictory info about these. Some say that they're only for reinstating existing but damaged threads. Thats the thrust of the Park tech info. Others, (the few) bike shops who use them say that they can be used (for instance ) to recut the old Raleigh 26tpi BB threads to the correct tpi to take sealed Shimano BBs. Anybody out there had experience of these.
Thanks Bob

bonk man

There was a bit of chat on the Moulton forum about thread cutting of Raleigh BBs ,,,,,,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moultonbicycle/

Somewhere in the recent messages.. "On my second mk3 i bought a standard bottom bracket threading tool for
less than the price of the phil option and rethreaded it myself."

you could join the group and ask which make of tool he used... :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
There maybe enough metal depth to tap a reliable thread into a Raleigh BB. It depends which side of 1 3/8" the Raleigh & BSA thread spec is. Without having a bike with a Raleigh BB thread I can't really say more than if it works it's a bit of a bodge.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
bonk man said:
There was a bit of chat on the Moulton forum about thread cutting of Raleigh BBs ,,,,,,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/moultonbicycle/

Somewhere in the recent messages.. "On my second mk3 i bought a standard bottom bracket threading tool for
less than the price of the phil option and rethreaded it myself."

you could join the group and ask which make of tool he used... :eek:

Hi BM,
Funny you should mention that, I was reading it about 10 minutes before seeing your post. I'll ask him. Sheldon talks about the BB tapping option, the Phil Woods option and using the existing shells with a 7" compatible square taper axle... I've yet to find one. The Park tools job retail at £600 but they're £300 on the USA Amazon. I have about 6 BB's ( inc a couple of Mk 3 Moultons ) with more in the pipeline so I'm sorely tempted. Lots of dosh though :eek:

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
GrasB said:
There maybe enough metal depth to tap a reliable thread into a Raleigh BB. It depends which side of 1 3/8" the Raleigh & BSA thread spec is. Without having a bike with a Raleigh BB thread I can't really say more than if it works it's a bit of a bodge.

According to Moulton owners, there's plenty of meat on the BB shell for a recut and its seems that its quite common for Raleigh 20 converters too ,though I've yet to see one "in the metal" so to speak

Top Bottom