Park + Cycle Scheme?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I would love to commute to work, but alas the main road (A46) is too busy and dangerous and it is too far to be practical every day. I live in Market Rasen, Lincs and work In Lincoln, Lincs (a distance of about 17 miles). It takes me about 1 hour door-to-door in my car. What would be great is having a cycle path alongside the railway line as that takes a very direct route and would be about 15 miles or so and traffic free. But, alas, that is not going to happen (well not in my lifetime).
What would be brilliant is to have some secure parking on the edge of the city to leave my car and then cycle in from there.
They could also have some sort of cycle hire scheme so that people like me who do not have or want a cycle carrier on my car could still use the facility.
Why hasn't anyone thought of this idea and implemented it?

jimboalee

That route looks delightful on Streetview.

What I'd give for some 'challenging' hills like those.

The ride home must be a dream with a 15mph SWesterly up your jacksee.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Does Lincoln have a Park & Ride scheme?

York does, and the parking bit's free - you just pay to use the bus.

The good part is that you don't have to use the bus. You can cycle into town and the parking is still free.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I suppose the Rawcliffe Bar one in York is particularly good as the cycle path ajoins the river route into town, has parking for 57 bicycles (unfortunately 52 are not covered so minus points for that) and has toilets.

All the P&Rs here I don't think you're allowed to cycle on at all, although we're a bit ahead of York in that all bar one have covered cycle parking.

jimboalee

I know the location of a Lay-by that is quite wide and has a section that my car fits and no other vehicle can park next to it. Sounds strange but its a real darling parking spot.

Car parks have the disadvantage of being 'over allotted' meaning the cars are shoe-horned in and scrapes / sratches are frequent. Trust me, its happened to my cars three times in as many years.

Some tips for choosing a 'P' Lay-by.

1/ It should be close to some buildings. This is so any thieving gits thinks twice.
2/ Do not leave any belongings visible in the car.
3/ Do not park under trees. Birds shoot all over your car.
4/ Street lighting.
5/ It should be on the hedgerow side of the road with the footpath on the other.
6/ It should be on the homeward bound side of the road. On arrival in the morning, swing the car round so it's facing home.
7/ There should be at least a metre between the main carriageway and your car.
8/ A curb to prop your bike up while you're putting your helmet and gloves on.
9/ The 'P' sign should be at the beginning of the lay-by so any stray dozey motorist hits the sign and not your car.
10/ Check for litter around the Lay-by. More litter, more motorists stop. Less litter, it's not used very often.
11/ Check for evidence of a fire in the Lay-by or nearby.
12/ Check for broken sidewindow glass. If there is some, forget that Lay-by.

amaferanga

Veteran
B1202 to Lissington - minor roads to just beyond Nettleham - B1182 or minor roads into Lincoln. Approximately 17 miles or 1 hour on a bike. You don't need a park and bike scheme
thumbsup.png

OP
OP
Gixxerman

Gixxerman

Guru
OK I will try it out one fine day to guage the time required.
I will obviously loose sometime showering at work.
If I do decide to make it a regular commute, what bike do you recommed?
I currently have a Trek 7.3 FX which I keep in very good condition. I wouldn't really want to use that in all weathers.
I would be looking to buy a 2nd hand bike with rack / mudguards. I would then have to buy some panniers.
I would only want to spend a max of £300.
Cheap road bike or decent tourer?

Top Bottom