Park Tools price increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
so, back in 2007 Park Tools slapped almost 50% on many of their tools, literally overnight. 12 months on from that, and some prices had decreased again but many didn't. As the years passed, discounts became common and prices felt more 'affordable' again.

During the last few weeks I have noticed huge price increases on certain Park Tools at a number of online retailers - primarily the higher end tools so far.

Is a repeat of 2007 just around the corner? If so, I'd fill your cart with Park Tools ASAP!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think Park Tools have been overestimating the value of their tools for quite a long time. Rather like IBM did in the Seventies. There are plenty of alternative tools out there that are more than adequate for a keen amateur mechanic.

sidevalve

Über Member
Source your tools from elsewhere - they will either come back into line or go under and someone else will fill the gap.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
They are being overtaken by copycat manufacturers who produce essentially the same thing for less than half the cost of the Park item.

The Park T2.2 truing stand is very good at what it does but you can find more or less identical products for £80 instead of the £220 Park price.

screenman

Legendary Member
Where they are made can make quite a difference at the moment, as a UK distributor for a USA company my margins have shrunk noticeable.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've gat a fair few of their smaller tools, usually when on buy 3 get one free at Halfords. I do have a fair amount of Campag and Shimano tools form the days when they did them at reasonable prices.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Where they are made can make quite a difference at the moment, as a UK distributor for a USA company my margins have shrunk noticeable.
I was told by Park that 85% of Park Tools are Made in the USA. Most of the other 15% seem to come from the Far East. However, it wasn't long ago that almost all Park Tools were from the US, so this balance is shifting quickly.
Certainly if you think you are paying for US production when buying Park, that isn't always the case! Look at their expensive socket set - Made in China and of very average quality!

Drago

Legendary Member
US gear is renowned for its never-fail-or-breakdown character. Chrysler cars, Zenith TV's, Space Shuttle Columbia... Being made in the Far East is unlikely to bring a reduction in quality when the bar wasn't set very high to begin with.

I think Park Tools have been overestimating the value of their tools for quite a long time. Rather like IBM did in the Seventies. There are plenty of alternative tools out there that are more than adequate for a keen amateur mechanic.
Not arguing, asking. Care to recommend any brands?
I have a few Park Tools (have been impressed - especially the chain whip - a fair few chain whips are simply unfit for purpose) and a selection of others.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
to be fair, I've not got many park tools, but for "normal" tools at least from appaearance Parc tools don't seem anything special. Allen keys, cutters, sockets etc - I tend to buy respected mainstream brands - these days Facom as often as not for most things and Lindstrom for pliers / cutters. Facom are reasonably priced when there's a deal on, but even when there's a deal Lindstrom prices are brutal - my lastest Lindstrom cutters were nearly £50 - reduced from £80

Can't remember, but it may have been a BBB chain whip I had reason to curse - had to buy it when away from base as didn't have access to my regular park whip.

Apologies to BBB if it wasn't theirs as have seen a few with the same truly inspired design - the "handle" is effectively a plastic sleeve shoved onto a metal plate core - give it a bit too much force (which of course you sometimes need to do with a chainwhip) and the plastic sleeve slips off!

Have used the odd Xtool as supplied by Chain Reaction and must admit that this - which is a fairly heavy duty application - seems fine to me.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/x-tools-crank-extractor/rp-prod10181

I always grease threads.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Not arguing, asking. Care to recommend any brands?
I have a few Park Tools (have been impressed - especially the chain whip - a fair few chain whips are simply unfit for purpose) and a selection of others.

My drawer of tools isn't to hand at the moment but the Draper Expert 57768 wire rope/cable cutter would be a starter at about £10.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011BXTP...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_i=B0001K9WXA

This torque wrench is good at about £25-30 There's a similar one with a 1/4" drive.
http://www.tools4trade.co.uk/sealey-wrench-micrometer.html?gclid=COHem8mTm8sCFYUewwodDdQFJw
You can get a set of hex bits to suit for under a tenner on ebay.

I bought a set of hex keys on ebay too, as well as a cassette and BB tools which I think were from CycloPro. My chain whip was an in-house brand from Mountain Equipment Co-operative in Vancouver.

The only thing I have from Park Tools is a set of tyre levers which I don't find nearly as good as the Tacx set that I temporarily lost.

EDIT: Ooops! I just remembered that I do have a Park chain tool, CT-5, which is actually pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I actually rate the park tyre levers - not expensive at all - work well, pretty much unbreakable as far as i can see. When i were a kid, you were supposed to use spoons, very breakable.

Top Bottom