Parkes Lightweight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

Hi,
Possibly looking at doing a restoration on this Parkes.
Obviously been resprayed before, but is it possible to know what year and model this is so I can base parts on the correct era?

Attachments

• IMG_7091.jpeg
    IMG_7091.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7090.jpeg
    IMG_7090.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7093.jpeg
    IMG_7093.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7094.jpeg
    IMG_7094.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7092.jpeg
    IMG_7092.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7089.jpeg
    IMG_7089.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 47
Hi,
Possibly looking at doing a restoration on this Parkes.
Obviously been resprayed before, but is it possible to know what year and model this is so I can base parts on the correct era?

Didn't they become Sun ?
If so that might help to narrow down the date a bit .
Do you have any other bits which might give you a clue as to the date from possible date codes .

So the latest it could be is 1960 that is when Raleigh took over the company .
The style of head badge might give a clue to the date as that was apparently changed. I found a site which had some date codes stating that the letter is a year code . As yours has 3 it makes it a bit difficult. I would suggest that it would be later .

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Didn't they become Sun ?
Do you have any other bits which might give you a clue as to the date from possible date codes .
Didn't they become Sun ?

Hi,
Sorry it came as a bare frame only. As said before it’s had a rattle can gold resprayed so no signs of original decals??
I think you’re right with the Sun connection.

Spokesman might be able to give more information.
I found a Retro bike thread about some bikes and dates . It seems that they were a very interesting company and were responsible for the types of frames we used to ride prior to what I call kiddies bikes. :whistle: Sloping frames with enormous seat posts .

Hi,
Sorry it came as a bare frame only. As said before it’s had a rattle can gold resprayed so no signs of original decals??
I think you’re right with the Sun connection.

Apparently they started off as Sun.
Looking on the threads on Retrobike helped explain a puzzle I came across yesterday regarding a small frame. Sun weren't in favour parallel angle frames. I assumed that the crossbar would get longer as the frame got bigger. It would with parallel angles. I wondered how a smaller frame than normal fitted me reach wise whereas if I went for the correct size it would be too long!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi biggs682,
Yes it’s the same one 🤣
Got out at the back of the barn and forgotten about.
Having a clear out and thought I must get started on it.

Best get it done then

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Did the post on Retrobike narrow down the date?

Hi Midlife,
Retrobike dated this to 'V would be 1954/1955'

Now to start to get this stripped and resprayed. I've tried thinners but this isn't shifting the paint so not sure if its a better finish than a rattle can?
Will try again with a bit of wire wool to see if this breaks it down?

Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers,

Hi Midlife,

Now to start to get this stripped and resprayed. I've tried thinners but this isn't shifting the paint so not sure if its a better finish than a rattle can?

Cheers,

What thinners did you use as cellulose usually shifts most paint ?
If it is an oil based enamel which was applied years ago it might be a bit more difficult.

kfoto

Regular
Hi Midlife,

Cheers,

Hi, I have the the same year Parkes Lightweight as you have. I have had mine for 60 odd years and it still has a a few bits from the original build. These are seat tube, rear carrier, pedals, cranks, crank set and G.B Sport caliper brakes. All the other parts have been replaced and it is now prepared to sell.

Top Bottom