Parking in the Winchester / Alresford area on Sundays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am supposed to do my madcap 50k ride and train down to Alresford on Sunday, but I've not been that well recently and have only just got back on the bike after nearly a month. The distance itself isn't so much the problem - the problem is that I'm really slow on the bike at the moment, and from my past forray down there, I know I'm really tight on time for trains, especially on the homeward leg.

So my current thinking is to chuck the bike in the car, drive down, park up for the day and be able to do at least part of the ride without having to clock watch.

I'm hoping the good people of CC can tell me where I can park for the day.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You should be OK parking in Alresford. The parking on the main street with the shops (West Street) is free on Sundays.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Thanks for the heads up folks. :okay: I know Alresford well (someone very dear to me is buried in the churchyard there), though not from a driving perspective as I tend to use public transport.

Winchester is almost a tabula rasa for me as I usually travel by bus from the Alton side. Hence looking for some practical tips aside from what's available on the 'net.

How early would be early @wonderloaf ? Bearing in mind it's a good 3 hour drive for me.

I was thinking of leaving the car in one of the park & rides in Winchester @vickster - will I still need a ticket from one of the machines? My timing is sort of midday to about 7-ish in the evening, but I can be flexible. (Am looking at either St Catherine's or Barfield)

wonderloaf

Veteran
Thanks for the heads up folks. :okay: I know Alresford well (someone very dear to me is buried in the churchyard there), though not from a driving perspective as I tend to use public transport.

Winchester is almost a tabula rasa for me as I usually travel by bus from the Alton side. Hence looking for some practical tips aside from what's available on the 'net.

How early would be early @wonderloaf ? Bearing in mind it's a good 3 hour drive for me.

I was thinking of leaving the car in one of the park & rides in Winchester @vickster - will I still need a ticket from one of the machines? My timing is sort of midday to about 7-ish in the evening, but I can be flexible. (Am looking at either St Catherine's or Barfield)
When I ride down to Alresford I'm normally there around 7 to 8am and it's still pretty quite. But once it gets towards late morning and the shops and cafes open it gets much busier. Went for drive down there a couple of weeks ago at around noon and couldn't get a space, so turned around and went back home! There are a few car parks as well so you may be OK anyway.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
When I ride down to Alresford I'm normally there around 7 to 8am and it's still pretty quite. But once it gets towards late morning and the shops and cafes open it gets much busier. Went for drive down there a couple of weeks ago at around noon and couldn't get a space, so turned around and went back home! There are a few car parks as well so you may be OK anyway.

I know there's the car park in Station Road - that may well be an option.

Although I'm leaning towards Winchester if I'm taking a bike with me...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I know there's the car park in Station Road - that may well be an option.

Although I'm leaning towards Winchester if I'm taking a bike with me...
My mother lived in Winchester until last year. Parking in the centre is almost impossible but I know a few streets on the St Cross side of town that should be OK on a Sunday without parking charges. Try Romans Road (off Southgate Street), and the part of Kingsgate Street south of The Queen Inn.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
My mother lived in Winchester until last year. Parking in the centre is almost impossible but I know a few streets on the St Cross side of town that should be OK on a Sunday without parking charges. Try Romans Road (off Southgate Street), and the part of Kingsgate Street south of The Queen Inn.

Mmmm, thanks for that.

I have no intention of parking anywhere near the town centre if I can help it - from my small experiences of Winchester, it's a lot like Cambridge in that respect. Something on the east side-ish near the Winnall interchange would be ideal, as NCN 23 is my intended route.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mmmm, thanks for that.

I have no intention of parking anywhere near the town centre if I can help it - from my small experiences of Winchester, it's a lot like Cambridge in that respect. Something on the east side-ish near the Winnall interchange would be ideal, as NCN 23 is my intended route.
Winnall has an industrial estate that should be pretty empty on a Sunday. There's on-street parking near Howdens Joinery on Leicester Way, and lots more nearby.

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
Winnall has an industrial estate that should be pretty empty on a Sunday. There's on-street parking near Howdens Joinery on Leicester Way, and lots more nearby.

Thanks, that sounds ideal. :okay: Better than taking a punt on finding a space in the P&R car parks.

There wouldn't be any problems leaving the car there all day?

wonderloaf

Veteran
@Reynard good to see you're sorted. Your post is quite timely for me as I live just outside Basingstoke and have just about exhausted the rides around here so was considering driving to Winchester and going out from there. Problem was I didn't have a clue where to park but now thanks to you and @slowmotion now have a good base to start from! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Reynard

Reynard

Guru
@Reynard good to see you're sorted. Your post is quite timely for me as I live just outside Basingstoke and have just about exhausted the rides around here so was considering driving to Winchester and going out from there. Problem was I didn't have a clue where to park but now thanks to you and @slowmotion now have a good base to start from! :thumbsup:

This is one of the things I love about Cyclechat @wonderloaf . :smile: There's always someone who knows something about everything. Or something... :blush: And someone like me who is up for doing crackpot things. :giggle:

It'll probably be about midday before I get to Winchester @slowmotion as I'm 20-something miles north of Cambridge. Hopefully I'll be able to find a parking space. The drive itself is pretty straightforward though, thank goodness. :smile: Though if you reckon I should get there earlier in order to secure a space, then please feel free to tell me. :okay:

Top Bottom