Parlez Vous Francais

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
One of things I have always loved about road racing is the continental feel to it and even seeing British riders being interviewed in French. So I was a little sad to hear when they were waffling on Eurosport today that CSC have declared the Team language to be English and that T Mobile also decided the same. Yes the riders come from all over the world these days it doesn't mean they can't learn French.

Keith Oates

Janner
I know what you're saying mondobongo, but in reality English is the common language for non English speakers to have as a second language and so it makes sense for the teams to adopt this.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
And as cycling becomes more popular all over the world, having teams and riders communicating in English will make things much easier.

English is the only truly global language, French lags quite a bit behind...

yello

It was quite cool listening to Thor Hushovd speak French yesterday on the tele.

I really like that the language of cycling is French and hearing non-native speakers (like Thor, or David Millar who crops up a fair bit) making the effort is, I reckon, brilliant. They could be speaking in cliches, I wouldn't know, but it still a useful reminder that there are other languages out there. Even Lance Armstrong spoke it, and I bet that stuck in the throat!

walker

I don't think Cav has the patience to learn something new, so rather than Wiggo translating it all for him, they just talk in English, makes life easier ha ha.

but in all honesty for teams like High road (not T-mobile anymore Mongo) and CSC that have riders from all over, the only familiar language they all speak is English.

a team like Euaskatel or Credite du jour who only have riders from one country, yeah easy, all speak Spanish or french

walker said:
I don't think Cav has the patience to learn something new, so rather than Wiggo translating it all for him, they just talk in English, makes life easier ha ha.

but in all honesty for teams like High road (not T-mobile anymore Mongo) and CSC that have riders from all over, the only familiar language they all speak is English.

a team like Euaskatel or Credite du jour who only have riders from one country, yeah easy, all speak Spanish or french

Or Basque (Euskara)!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_language

yello

Don't Euskaltel only have Basque riders (be they Spanish or French)?

Like Atlético Bilbao only have Basque players?

A fiercely proud region it seems!

Especially when there is a lack of other flags here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euskaltel-Euskadi#2008_ProTeam

Top Bottom