Parts compatability question about (re)building old wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
For reasons outlined in this thread, I have two wheels I'd like to butcher into one. Both are 700c, 36-spoke, 26mm outside width and apparently similar rim depth. Both are running hubs with a 44mm spoke PCD, with an approximate spoke length from the spoke elbow centre in hub to the ID of the rim of 295mm. They are:

1. Chromed steel Raleigh wheel with 5-speed freehub on 120mm axle spacing. 2.05mm OD spokes, 3.2mm AF nipples with 3.8mm OD.
2. Ally BSO wheel with 6-speed freehub on 126mm axle spacing. 2.0mm OD spokes, 3.4mm AF nipples with (apparently) 3.8mm OD.

Due to various bits being knackered I want to rebuild the good bits into one wheel consisting of No.2's ally rim and No.1's hub. I'd prefer to use the nipples from No.1 as they seem like a more common size, are in better nick, likely better quality and I have a key to fit them. Jury's out on which spokes to use - No.1's are far older and one has snapped (so I'd have to use at least one from No.2) while No.2's are complete but potentially manky quality steel.

Can anyone suggest any reasons why this shouldn't work? While some parts aren't identical, I can't see the differences causing any problems.

Answers on a postcard please - maybe by the time it gets here I'll have got my arse into gear :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Confess I would use a new set of spokes to assure quality and nil cycles towards fatigue; and you could get their length exactly right.
Bear in mind that where one spoke fails, others will likely follow (especially true of an 'old' wheel).
But I can't suggest any reason why your cunning plan wouldn't work - the difference in hub OLD should have negligible affect on spoke length.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you are going to the trouble of rebuilding it, then new spokes definitely, and potentially new brass nipples.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Thanks all!

I appreciate the argument for new spokes, however this grates somewhat on cost grounds since enough to do both wheels will still come to maybe £20+ at cheapo ebay prices, which is quite a lot compared to the value of the bike. Also, part of the fun is in sorting it myself on a budget; although I appreciate this ideal might seem less appealing if I find myself repeatedly replacing broken spokes in future.

I hope this won't be the case though as I think some were probably pretty stressed due to the forces required to pull the wonky steel rim back into place - hopefully they should have an easier life when the wheel has been rebuilt.

The nipples from the Raleigh seem serviceable; all lubed and free last time I checked after tweaking them a while ago. I had another look at the BSO wheel and the nipples are pretty corroded inside the rim, so I think these will be canned, I'll harvest what spokes I can as spares and re-use those from the Raleigh wheel.

I'm fully prepared to accept any "I told you so's" down the line that result from my tightness :laugh:

Top Bottom