Pashley Tandem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Following on from http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cheap-tandem.133181/

Well, I went out (well, stayed in really, and clicked on ebay), and we are now the proud owners of a slightly shabby, but relatively cheap Pashley Tandem. We have had a pootle around of about 3 miles, and everything went well. The front gear needs fixing (doesn't move at all) and it needs a good clean up, but otherwise I am very pleased.

tandem1.jpg

tandem2.jpg

I have a couple of questions though
1) Braking. The tandem has three brakes, one a rather ineffectual hub brake on the back wheel operated by the left brake lever, and two side-pull brakes front and rear operated by the right brake lever. Is this "normal", i.e. are both brakes normally connected to a single lever ?

2) Wheels. It has 26" wheels, which look fine, but some of the spokes, especially on the back wheel, are rather loose (move easily when a couple are pinched between finger and thumb). Is this a matter of simply getting them tightened in my local bicycle shop, or should I be thinking of buying new ones (which I don't really want to do)

Thanks

Andrew

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Yes, that's not an unusual arrangement for tandem brakes, especially on older tandems from before cantilever or disc brakes were common. You may find it's tricky to keep adjusted, and two side-pulls and a roller lever brake are pretty weedy by modern standards. Keep an eye on those brakes, because a tandem can shift and takes some stopping. Rims overheating and hub brakes fading are not uncommon but seriously scary, especially in hilly country. Make sure the cables and shoes are in good condition and everything's adjusted as well as it can be, and take it steady.

If you're going to use it in anger, (as in touring or audax or whatever) I'd consider upgrading to two or three cantis or V-brakes, or hydraulic rim brakes - that would need some brazing work and a re-paint, though. A big tandem drum brake on the back is certainly worth thinking about if the bike shop advises you need a new wheel anyway - and no torch work needed. Disc brakes on that frame would probably be inadvisable.

As for the back wheel; back wheels tend to be the achilles heels of tandems: they're highly stressed with twice the weight and twice the torque of a regular bike going through them.. I'd have a good bike shop take a look at that wheel and advise you. It may just need retensioning, but I'd do this before you ride it much as it's only going to get worse and may well start breaking spokes if it's not attended to.

ChopperGav

Über Member
Following on from http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cheap-tandem.133181/

Well, I went out (well, stayed in really, and clicked on ebay), and we are now the proud owners of a slightly shabby, but relatively cheap Pashley Tandem. We have had a pootle around of about 3 miles, and everything went well. The front gear needs fixing (doesn't move at all) and it needs a good clean up, but otherwise I am very pleased.

tandem1.jpg

tandem2.jpg

I have a couple of questions though
1) Braking. The tandem has three brakes, one a rather ineffectual hub brake on the back wheel operated by the left brake lever, and two side-pull brakes front and rear operated by the right brake lever. Is this "normal", i.e. are both brakes normally connected to a single lever ?

2) Wheels. It has 26" wheels, which look fine, but some of the spokes, especially on the back wheel, are rather loose (move easily when a couple are pinched between finger and thumb). Is this a matter of simply getting them tightened in my local bicycle shop, or should I be thinking of buying new ones (which I don't really want to do)

Thanks

Andrew
Hi,
We purchased a Pashley tandem off ebay this year a Tourmaster model which is similar to what you now own except for we have no crossbars, our being a mixte style. We too have three brakes although ours being three Wienmann Vanquirs, with the two rears being operated from one lever. Stopping power? Well it depends what you are used to, with things like Choppers being ridden this end I would say I would say adequate, although I would say I'll never lose control by a lock up.^_^
The back wheel as mentioned by another member does take one awful lot of stick, we managed to break four spokes & wedge the rim to the chainstay plus completely destroying the stoker bottom bracket. I am now in the process of restoring ours with the first job to sort a set of strong wheels.
We absolutely love it & can't wait to get it back on the road so we can continue to harrass the local lycra boys, :laugh: considering the age & condition of ours it still flew, 34mph not unusual. Your's looks great a real riding project, keep us informed.

Top Bottom