Pass Wide and Slow - Horse Riding Campaign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
One thing to be aware of, if you are approaching from behind, usually the horse will sense you, and could react, well before the rider notices you.

Another interesting point.

On a bridleway the other night when approaching a rider from behind. Didn't ping and shut the freewheel up on approach. I called out but the young girl had headphones in so couldn't hear me. The horse knew from a good distance that I was on approach (ears twitching, head kept turning so it could get eye contact etc) and kept moving over to the side. The rider kept yanking the reigns for it to be central. Turns out as well as having headphones in she was texting or something like that. The horse had been trying to tell her for well over a minute that I was there but she was oblivious to it.

In the end I had to take my chances and go wide.

Dolorous Edd

On a bridleway the other night when approaching a rider from behind. Didn't ping and shut the freewheel up on approach. I called out but the young girl had headphones in so couldn't hear me. The horse knew from a good distance that I was on approach (ears twitching, head kept turning so it could get eye contact etc) and kept moving over to the side. The rider kept yanking the reigns for it to be central. Turns out as well as having headphones in she was texting or something like that. The horse had been trying to tell her for well over a minute that I was there but she was oblivious to it.

I have encountered this many times. It's my responsibility to call out in a manner that a rider with reasonable perception will apprehend (so maybe a second call if the first is not noticed), and then pass with caution if there is enough room. If the rider isn't paying attention, then I'm afraid that's their problem - I'm not waiting for ages to accommodate their unreasonable behaviour.

Dolorous Edd

I know where you're coming from but I don't want a hoof in the face or a rider laying on a spinal board. The horse seemed OK with me talking to it so went round when I thought it was comfortable.

Well yes, sorry, reading your post again, if the horse is evidently agitated then I will make extra allowances.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
My friend's son took a hoof in the face aged about six, from his Mother's horse. No way do I want to provoke neddy, so I always slow down and talk to the horse as soon as I see it. @KnittyNorah 's post was really helpful.

I know where you're coming from but I don't want a hoof in the face or a rider laying on a spinal board. The horse seemed OK with me talking to it so went round when I thought it was comfortable.
Speaking to it in a calm and confident voice usually does the trick even if the dozy rider still doesn't wake up. If it knows you are there and what you are (which information you've given it by speaking) all is usually well.

One thing I will say ... I have always had a foot in both camps - both sorts of riding.

Cyclists have had a right to ride on 'our' bridleways for decades now, and most of them are appreciative of that and considerate of the original users.
BUT
and it's a big but ...
horses are NOT permitted on bike paths or so-called multiuser paths, and in many areas bridleways are being, or have been, substantially altered (eg tarmaced, concreted or have compacted stone chippings laid) such that they are made increasingly less suitable and more unwelcoming - even damaging! - to the horse ... In other areas bridleways are so heavily - and often irresponsibly - used by mtbs (and illegally by trail bikes) that they become dangerous for horses, more 'moderate' cyclists and walkers. I really don't care very much about the walkers - they have over 80% of the PROWs exclusively for their use and and their use alone, and can easily find another route - but I do care about the horse riders and the more responsible cyclists who don't want a path to be ruined for its legitimate users.

So resentment does happen in some areas; hardly surprising.

All that said, though, I have had far more 'run ins' with obstreperous 'ramblers' on bridleways, especially up in the hills, than I ever have with any type of cyclist. and on several occasions I have had to intervene when plain nasty walkers tried to threaten harmless kids merely having fun on their mtb on a bridleway where they had every right to be, and doing no harm to anyone. But intervening with a group of red-socked nasties trying to bully a youngster, from the position of being a mature adult mounted on a well-trained horse, is really quite easy and a great boost to the ego!

Drago

Legendary Member
They are not 'your' bridleways.

They are either in public orwnership or on private land, and your right to use them is solely at the whim of the legislature.

They are not 'your' bridleways.

They are either in public orwnership or on private land, and your right to use them is solely at the whim of the legislature.

Most public rights of way - for all users, be they walkers, cyclists or horse riders - are on private land; however a public bridleway is the ONLY place where equines and their riders/leaders/handlers (NOT drivers; horse-[and other animal-]drawn vehicles must use roads and other paths with vehicular rights, either full or specific to non-mechanically-propelled vehicles) can (or more likely nowadays, 'may') have any expectation of feeling even remotely safe from the ever-present threats on public roads; certainly bridleways (and the old roads-used-as-public-paths, and the current Restricted Byways) are the only routes on which I would - or could - ever be reasonably confident - absent an estate and parkland of my own to ride around like the Queen! - that I will not round a corner to meet a head-on onslaught of motor traffic, which is a great confidence booster when riding a youngster.

Increasingly that sense of safety on a bridleway disappears when a bridleway is artificially surfaced and one is faced with the inevitable onslaught of speedsters on two wheels, as well as the (often) general unsuitability of the surface for a horse - but the nigh-empty cycle track which would offer a safer (not safe, just less unsafe) route across town or along the main road to the next stretch of bridleway, quiet lane or forestry commission land is barred to the horse.

As for anyone's right to use a public path which passes over private land ,it is indeed, strictly speaking, at the 'whim' of the legislature - however such rights have been present in common law for aeons, as has the concept of public rights of way of different levels and degrees of usage, and Highways Acts, containing sections on public rights of way, exist dating back to the 16th century. So the 'whim' of the legislature is not quite as whim-ish, or as fragile, as some might wish ...

Jody

Stubborn git
Inevitable onslaught of speedsters? :rolleyes:

The bridleway may be the only place you can ride a horse but they aren't exclusively yours by virtue of being there first. They are for all to enjoy.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
One thing I will say ... I have always had a foot in both camps - both sorts of riding.

Cyclists have had a right to ride on 'our' bridleways for decades now, and most of them are appreciative of that and considerate of the original users.
I thought the law was merely clarified in the 1960s, not fundamentally changed, as it was unclear which rights of way cyclists had a right to cycle on. This was a consequence of the way that cyclists were hastily recognised as vehicles in the late Victorian period when cycling became popular. It was not even clarified particularly neatly, as the 1960s Act only granted the right to bicycle riders, not tricycle ones, but that's another story.

BUT
and it's a big but ...
horses are NOT permitted on bike paths or so-called multiuser paths,
:laugh: Come off it. If I had five pounds every time a cycleway was covered in horse dung, I'd have a steady stream of posh new bikes without having to save! I've even seen horse dung up a fairly narrow high arch bridge with slaloms at quarters which means the poor horse probably had its head stuck out over the parapet staring down into the space above the road to get up there.

In theory, horses are not permitted. In practice, no-one is policing it and abuse is widespread. I suspect there might be more horses on the cycleways than motorbikes... but apart from silly narrow ones like the bridge I mentioned, who really cares? I'm happy to share any way wide enough.

and in many areas bridleways are being, or have been, substantially altered (eg tarmaced, concreted or have compacted stone chippings laid) such that they are made increasingly less suitable and more unwelcoming - even damaging! - to the horse
Horses go on roads, so surely tarmac and concrete aren't necessarily damaging. Probably cyclists would rather not have most crap horse-injuring surfaces either: if it cuts a horse's feet, it's going to ruin a rubber tyre.

... In other areas bridleways are so heavily - and often irresponsibly - used by mtbs (and illegally by trail bikes) that they become dangerous for horses, more 'moderate' cyclists and walkers. I really don't care very much about the walkers - they have over 80% of the PROWs exclusively for their use and and their use alone, and can easily find another route - but I do care about the horse riders and the more responsible cyclists who don't want a path to be ruined for its legitimate users.
I think we'd like all bridleways to remain safe for legitimate users. That does mean that some sort of harder-wearing surfaces than grass and mud should be put down on the more-used ones, which will both let them withstand the MTBs (and probably trail bikes) and make them less attractive for MTBing.

Top Bottom