Passau to Vienna along the Danube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That was my first ever grown up cycle tour! ^_^
I loved it!

The most memorable place for me along the way was the Mauthausen concentration camp, past Linz.
Amazing history. You'd need to be a rock not to be moved. There's a darned big hill up to it though, so be warned!

Vienna was just amazing. On a summer's evening there were buskers everywhere and it being Vienna, the quality was top-class! Cycled past the nudist section of the river on the way into the city - that was educational! ^_^

Can't remember the specifics of where I stayed, but it was mainly in the smaller towns. Food was great, beer was good too! ^_^

It's a great route, easy cycling and lots of stops along the way.

Enjoy!

Somebuddy

Über Member
middleagecyclist Are you going solo? What's your plan for accommodation? Hostel, Hotel, guesthouse, camping?
I'm flying into Basel, Switzerland...... passing through Passau and onto Budapest. That's the plan. Taking the tent. Setting off 17th Sep 18.
Worrying over finding a bike box for the return flight, when I don't speak the language.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
middleagecyclist Are you going solo? What's your plan for accommodation? Hostel, Hotel, guesthouse, camping?
I'm flying into Basel, Switzerland...... passing through Passau and onto Budapest. That's the plan. Taking the tent. Setting off 17th Sep 18.
Worrying over finding a bike box for the return flight, when I don't speak the language.
Flying to Vienna with a mate. Hire local cycles. Train to Passau. 5 days cycle back to Vienna. Day/night in capital. Fly home. Not sorted accom yet but will be hotels, hostels or pensiones. Direct return flight £81.00!!!

vt2

Guru
I did this trip with my brother a few years ago and again with a group last year, see http://basu3acycling.joomla.com/past-rides/danube-2017 for the details. The first time I visited the Mauthausen camp and it was worth the climb up, but last year the rest of the group did not fancy the climb.

philk56

Guru
We did this ride in 2012, one of the best holidays we've had. Flew to Vienna, train to Passau, picked up hire bikes and then cycled back. Must admit we did it the easy way, hotels pre-booked and a company to take our baggage. Lots of lovely little towns along the way, some up some quite steep hills!, and interesting changes of scenery. Can recommend Melk with its huge Abbey, Durnstein, Enns, amongst others. As has already been said, one of the best bits are he little ferries to take you across the river with bells to ring to call them if they are at the other side. The next leg from Vienna to Budapest is till on my to do list. If you're interested there are some photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/23946780@N08/albums/72157630097237878

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
We did it about 10 years ago
It was 2 weeks after the biggest floods in 500 years on the river, so many riverside villages were decimated, I have pictures with cars in trees, 30' feet up! and one of a massive tree where you can see the flood line probably 60' feet up.
That said, it was an amazing experience, the cycle path was open all the way (they had opened it before the roads, bikes before cars, imagine!) some of the villages were stunning, I found the monastry at Melk facinating (the wife less so), get the BikeLine book of the route, it's by far the best.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Time to bump this thread.

Lots of good advice already but as the the trip is next week does anyone else want to weigh in with tips?

Also, I realise navigation will be a doddle but I do like to see options and normally tour with an extrex on the stem. Any idea on the best place to get a SD card with a mid european map (not the Garmin option). Ta

Top Bottom