Passport application

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am having trouble with my online passport application and hope someone can help.

I had a passport photo taken yesterday. I have scanned it . When I try to download to the application, it is telling me the file needs to be between 50kb and 10mb. Looking in the properties of the photo, it is showing it as 39kb.

What do I need to do to make the photo acceptable for the application form.

Thank you.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Increase it by 25% using a graphics editor (MS-Paint, etc)?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I needed a passport size photo for a licence application. The booth I used at the local shopping centre spewed out a strip of 4 pics plus a link printed on it that can be used for online passport applications.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
This may be a silly question, but have you tried uploading the photo to the passport form?

It might accept it despite it being notionally too small.

D

Deleted member 26715

Download Gimp for Windows, open the file, Image, scale image, increase it by 20% then export to .jpg

si_c

Guru
39kb sounds very small for a photograph - have you only got a thumbnail rather than a full image? If not then increasing the image size in a photo application will reduce the quality so may result in the photo being rejected later.

I used a photo from my camera against a very slightly off white wall in my house - no need to take a professional image.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It's likely the OP's low resolution scanner is causing the problem.

There might be a high res setting on it which will cause it to run painfully slow, but will get the job done.

I created an acceptable mugshot jpeg using the camera on my laptop.

Fairly straightforward, not least because the photo went straight to the desktop.

A smartphone camera would also do it, but you would need to transfer the image to your computer.

This could be done in a number of ways; by bluetooth, attaching it to an email and sending it to yourself, by connecting the phone to the computer with a cable, or by uploading it to a social media site.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Re-scan the photo at a higher dpi, therefore a larger image.
That would be my solution. Somewhere in the settings menu of your scanning program you'll have something like this:

1605177646631.png

Just change that 150 dpi to 200dpi, or whatever (ie, whatever it's at right now, go up one setting). Sorted.

Top Bottom