Pasta protein?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
It isn't clear in the photo but those numbers refer to 170 g of cooked pasta, which corresponds to 80 g of uncooked pasta.

The Lidl 12.5% protein figure refers to uncooked pasta, so it would be nearer 6% after it has been cooked.

I just rang a friend who buys Sainsbury's pasta and she told me that the 5.2% figure on her bag referred to the cooked product.

I reckon that is the source of most of the difference between the numbers!
Ah interesting colin, might explain it - I must admit that with their track record on certain things I had thought Sainsburys had maybe lowered the quality on the sly. I started checking protein levels on pasta after an Italian bod said on a food forum that you should look for protein levels of 12 to 13 per cent. That was how I noticed that Sainsburys own label stuff seemed to generally fit in with that, along with everything else I looked at, apart from the Sainsburys super super economy basics stuff which I do remember had a low figure - hence since then I have associated that with poor quality stuff.

My pasta these days comes from Aldi or Lidl.

Thanks to @fabfoodie above for info on the reasons for the difference between brown and white pasta. I think I'll go back to white - prefer the taste, I don't think my diet is short of fibre, and I'd prefer the protein.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have listened to few podcasts recently that pasta is a pretty overrated food for carbo loading for the next day. I have always favoured other starches in preparation for the next day.

Cous cous 14% protein cooked.
Couscous is a wheat-based product too though, isn't it?

I like it and eat it 2-3 times as often as I do pasta or rice.

I just realised that I never buy wholewheat couscous. In fact, I have never seen it in the shops but I just searched and it is available.

Couscous is a wheat-based product too though, isn't it?

I like it and eat it 2-3 times as often as I do pasta or rice.

I just realised that I never buy wholewheat couscous. In fact, I have never seen it in the shops but I just searched and it is available.

I know Tescos stock it.

Though I personally prefer bulgur wheat to couscous. It's prepared in much the same way, even if it is cracked whole grain as opposed to pasta (which is what couscous is)

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I have listened to few podcasts recently that pasta is a pretty overrated food for carbo loading for the next day..

Yes I came to the conclusion a while ago that it is seriously over-rated. Possibly because of the Brit reverence for things Italian. Hence I restrict my servings - often less than 70g a go. 100g if I really want to go mad and treat myself.

Ah, I haven't bought that for many years. I'd forgotten how much I used to like it.

I intend to give quinoa another go too.

I use bulgur wheat as an alternative to rice sometimes (quicker and less washing up than the rice cooker), but I just really like it for what it is. Though I make it up with vegetable stock and plenty of pepper rather than just water and salt as it needs a kick in the pants as far as flavour is concerned.

It's lovely with diced roast pumpkin / butternut squash, chopped garlic and sage. Or with roast mediterranean veg (pepper, courgette, onion, cherry tomatoes). Either make a tasty (hot) side to have with fish or chicken.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Going OT a bit in reference to protein, but something that works well for me for long rides the next day is rice pudding. A tin just before bed for dessert and a tin for breakfast. On days where I have done a 200+km ride back to back, I have been able to eat two tins on the second morning.

The tins of low fat rice pudding from Lidl are delicious. I used to think rice pudding was the vilest sludge available. Not now. I rate.

Only 5-7% protein though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It's usually Ng per 100g

But not in this case.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Going OT a bit in reference to protein, but something that works well for me for long rides the next day is rice pudding. A tin just before bed for dessert and a tin for breakfast. On days where I have done a 200+km ride back to back, I have been able to eat two tins on the second morning.

The tins of low fat rice pudding from Lidl are delicious. I used to think rice pudding was the vilest sludge available. Not now. I rate.

Only 5-7% protein though.

Take a spork and have rice pudding during the ride.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Ah, I haven't bought that for many years. I'd forgotten how much I used to like it.

I intend to give quinoa another go too.
Quinoa is not great environmentally or financially for those living in regions where it was the staple food crop. Avoid. There are plenty other good carb sources.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I use bulgur wheat as an alternative to rice sometimes (quicker and less washing up than the rice cooker), but I just really like it for what it is. Though I make it up with vegetable stock and plenty of pepper rather than just water and salt as it needs a kick in the pants as far as flavour is concerned.

It's lovely with diced roast pumpkin / butternut squash, chopped garlic and sage. Or with roast mediterranean veg (pepper, courgette, onion, cherry tomatoes). Either make a tasty (hot) side to have with fish or chicken.
Try it the Cypriot way, fry off onions, cook the usual way with the addition of tinned chopped tomatoes, throw in some vermicelli pasta towards the end.
Served with fish and tsatsiki.

Top Bottom