patching up an old bike - question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
I have just acqured an old mountain bike which has been languishing in the bike shed at work unused for the last two years. Amazingly it is almost rideable, the pedals go round smoothly and the gearing still seems to work, it is just the brakes that seem a little sticky. There is visible corrosion on the inner cables so I intend to replace those and check the gearing is properly adjusted but what other things should I be checking i.e what components tend to degrade when left outside for a long time?

Once I have got this bike cleaned up I intend to use it as a bad weather alternative to my road bike (have ordered some studded tyres for it which should hopefully arrive at the end of this week).

Norm

When I dragged my old MTB out, there was nothing needed after about 15 years.

I have greased and oiled it, changed the tyres (to some road-spec rubber, because it won't leave the tarmac now), added mudguards and, well, that's about it, a clunker was born.

I'd check and grease the bearings, especially the pedals, BB and steering head bearings, which might not be happy after that long outside. I'd cover the chain in a light oil, then keep an eye on the chain for tight spots. Coat the gear shifters in something like WD40, oh, and make sure that the seat post is free.

Take care with the brakes, replace the blocks if they look dodgy, then ride and enjoy.

ASC1951

Guru
al78 said:
Amazingly it is almost rideable,
I don't find that at all surprising, TBH, when it's been kept in a shed. I would expect a bit of light rust on the chain, but that's all.

You can sometimes find that tyres and tubes degrade if they have been left flat for a long time, so I would leave them pumped up for a day before setting off on a 50 miler!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I would....

pump up the tyres and go for a ride.

Seriously. Two years in a shed? Hah! It'll be fine. Just keep your ears and 'feelometer' on the alert for the first 100 miles - if anything is in need of TLC, it'll let you know.

Top Bottom