Patchy paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Billyfish

I recently bought a BMC Roadmachine 02 Ultgra. On closer inspection, the paintowrk appears patchy, the bike is black but here and there are dark-grey patches. Is this to be expected or have I got a faulty paint job?

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it back to Evans?
Is it Matt or gloss? The former, maybe expected

S-Express

I recently bought a BMC Roadmachine 02 Ultgra. On closer inspection, the paintowrk appears patchy, the bike is black but here and there are dark-grey patches. Is this to be expected or have I got a faulty paint job?

Impossible to establish what you mean without seeing some pics.

Although a UD finish is probably what we will all be looking at when they are posted.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a re run of the similarly named British Motor Corp. Notorious for poor paintwork.
I remember horror stories of whole sections of paint coming off when pressure washed.

Bad luck. Take it back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From the BMC site:-

Why can I see the carbon lay-up of my frame through the clear coat?

BMC’s frames are made mostly using UD carbon fibre. UD stands for unidirectional. Unlike more traditional carbon fibre products that use a woven carbon finish (criss-crossed finish like a woven piece of material), UD carbon is literally a piece of carbon material with the filaments all running in one direction. BMC’s frames are made from many different pieces of UD carbon that are woven together, similar to what is done in textile production. Some of our frames contain around 350 individual pieces of carbon fibre that go into the mould before heating and curing takes place. These material sheets - some very small, some very large - are laid at different angles across each other to achieve different results:…

n?b2=bvvF3QbbftT9P80Y0AW2dThIr6NX2q9Fi9xwkCSi2_r-ecW0OpN2iGNcWtswKHean-yS8qwyCHp_5559y2Chtw&cid=.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
'take it back' :laugh:

Whistles... it's one thing that bothers me about UD, only because I am OCD with shiny paint on stuff. Not so sure Matt finishes or UD fit with me.

But it's the natural finish. You can add cost with glossy paint !

Top Bottom