Patio pointing products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I've cleaned out the failed patio joints. I've decided to give a resin type product a go as it isn't a large area so the cost difference for sand/cement isn't going to be huge and it is a coloured product which sold her indoors.

I've seen a few youtube videos be diyers(restoration couple primarily).
Has anyone used the Screwfix own product?
What have you used and what are your opinions on them?
Thanks

postman

Legendary Member
I wish you better luck than me.Our driveway is paved,weeds pop up everywhere,Resolva is a great spray but this year price has gone through the roof.So i decided point it myself.Cleaned every loose crap.Then i bought pre mixed mortar.In my opinion too much sand.Anyway a pointing tool no not me,and off i went.To say i was not good is an understatement.My word it does mark when it hits the face of the slabs,i finished up scrubbing with hot water and soap to clean them,so now they look pretty good.But next time a pro can do it.

Here's me pointing at mine if that helps. :okay:

ple-sitting-on-chairs-in-porch-man-pointing-B746YT.jpg

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Yes I used the screwfix own mix last year for pointing the front flags. Its not very good quality the dried mix and will need doing again. I will do my own this next time and get the sand/ cement from a local building supplier.
If I were you I'd just do your own mix.

I used the 'brush in' stuff - can;t remember the name but B&Q had one as well
(edit - Easy Joint)

it says you just brush it over the gap and that's it
the bloke next door works in property maintenance and he said that is b****x and you really need to push in down so there isn;t an air gap for water to get into and freeze
so I did that with all the worst bits on the driveway and patio
seems to have worked - lots of bits need re-doing but that is all stuff the professionals did when the did the whole thing a few years ago
when I say professionals - I mean the sort of professionals that Mel Brooks portrayed eating beans and breaking wind - that sort

Anyway - this year I am going to have to go over teh whole thing with a grout remove tools (aka an old screwdriver) and replace any I can get out and see if that fixes some of the mess

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Mix your own sand and cement (3:1) and add a small amount of PVA glue.

The PVA adds strength and elasticity so the pointing doesn’t crack as quickly during cycles of hot and cold weather.

And yes…push it in tight to remove air gaps. You can use a piece of firm hose or copper pipe to give you that smooth finish. Run it along the seam.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Sikaflex is the brand I think that we have used , tradesman use . If the above recipe does the same be cheaper going that route as the tubs are spendy and don’t go far !

Milzy

Guru
What about this?
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Dansand-NO-GROW-Block-Paving-Jointing-Compound---20kg/p/131900

I need to fill my block pathing gaps after jet washing.

Top Bottom