Patio Pointing???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Has anyone tried one of these alternatives to traditional mortar for pointing a patio? Slabs are slate laid on a full mortar bed and I was looking at Marshalls Weatherpoint 365. Also had a scan at Rompox, NCC 800 series and Geo-Fix. The W 365 is especially appealing as it is layed wet and rain doesn't matter.

Ah, damn misleading thread titles :biggrin:

Up+Daddy.jpg

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

I used some of that ready mix dry stuff that you just brush in. It's so easy to use:thumbsup:

Which is the appeal and the problem, there are so many of them and such a wide variety of price points to choose from. As is usual with the Net I can find negative reviews about them all, though Geo-Fix seems to come in for a lot of bad press. It doesn't seem to even be a question of trusting to an expert judging by the tales of patios have to be raked out and repointed or even re-done altogether.

Just mix 3:1 washed sharp sand and cement...barely wet, but well mixed. (Use a consistent measure to retain the colour throughout the work. Dependent of the stones etc a bit of black pigment takes the 'green' edge off usual mortar) Hoist a lump onto a trowel, hold it in your hand and use a pointing trowel in your 'best' hand to guide the mix into the voids.(Being barely wet, you will not stain the stone edges etc) Use the edge of the pointing trowel to 'pack' the joint (and avoid future deterioration). Use the bottom of the trowel to 'flaunch' the joint and 'polish' the mortar mix to a smooth finish - using the metal trowel will bring just enough moisture to the surface of the joint to make this easy (ish).
Use silver sand if you want a tough old joint.
I look forward to seeing your builder's accoutrements in the 'For Sale' section sometime soon. A Rolhoff wheelbarrow? Wow!:smile:
(And several unused bags of whatever you mention.)

Reactions: 4F
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

thanks Teef, well I went ahead and ordered the Marshalls Weatherpoint 365 - the appeal of laying wet and brushing in was too much. There's no way I'm getting down on my knees and pointing a big patio...I'm cack at that sort of stuff at the best of times but once I got bored it would go steadily downhill.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ah, damn misleading thread titles :biggrin:

Up+Daddy.jpg

Yes, I had this image of people standing on a Patio pointing at things too, except that the people in my imagination were posh, engaging in sophisticated small talk, were drinking G&Ts or similar and pointing at unseen things outside of the picture I had in my mind, whilst people gently played music in the background (also out of shot).

PK99

Legendary Member
I've had success with a simple ready mix dry sand and cement mortar from the DIY sheds.

Method is to water the patio VERY well getting the base of the empty joints nice and wet, let the top surface dry and then brush in the dry mix making sure it is well pressed into the joints. the sand cement mix draws up the moisture below and sets well.

Do not water in and do not do when rain expected as too much water will give a weak set

I was not aware of anything other than sand and cement. Are the named products not just the same stuff at three times the price?

I would go with the point of pressing it into the gap as to just brush it in leaves it very open in the gaps and not really touching much.

If you have nice stone slabs or want to make it older looking then you can use white cement. It costs twice the price of normal cement but then dries to the colour of the sand. This gives the look of old style lime mortar. The normal cement colour can look a bit out of place with some stone colours and can show through if you add colours.

Top Bottom