Patterson Transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I like the look of that. Especially as they say it will fit any bike with a standard 68mm bottom bracket.

I've been daydreaming lately about building up a bike with 700c wheels and a Sturmey Archer 8 speed. Combine my spec with this device and it gives a potential gear spread of 30 to 157 gear inches.:crazy: Perhaps better for a fast recumbent.:thumbsup:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not sure how it works after looking at the site. Does it work like hub gears at the rear so that front ring turns faster than you're actually pedalling when you shift down?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I like the look of that. Especially as they say it will fit any bike with a standard 68mm bottom bracket.

I've been daydreaming lately about building up a bike with 700c wheels and a Sturmey Archer 8 speed. Combine my spec with this device and it gives a potential gear spread of 30 to 157 gear inches.:crazy: Perhaps better for a fast recumbent.:thumbsup:
This is what I had in mind.
I have looked at the Schlumpf Speed and Mountain drives but I have tried and don't like the ankle kick button to change gear.

The Patterson cable gear change looks easier to use and has a more sleek look to it. I think it might also be cheaper, even when imported from the US.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd heard of this before, does have one or two advantages over the Schlumpf- not least price. Apparently the chainrings can be changed, so though there's no choice when you buy it, you could fit a different size ring.

Weird. Didn't the SRAM FSA group already have a two speed epicyclic unit almost identical in spec to this but targeted at the heavy duty off-road crowd?

Top Bottom