Paul O'Grady - RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ady-lily-savage-police-raid-b2309959.html?amp

Even as recently as 1987 police were raiding his shows in deliberate homophobic attacks. Wearing rubber gloves in case they caught HIV.

How quickly the world moves.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It's not that long ago either. We think Turing's treatment was ancient history but I was a working adult at the time the powers of
the state were harrassing gays - and I could be tempted to make a Linekar comparison, but will try and be non polital.

Things are clearly better now, and I think it was the late great Vernon of this parish commenting that at the school he taught at the headmaster had announced in assembly "congratulations to Mr <such and such> his civil parntership with <whoever>" and the kids reacting with bored indifference just as if a straight couple's wedding had been announced.

O'grady did sound like a good bloke by all accounts, quite apart from his on stage personae so it's a sad day.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
It's not that long ago either. We think Turing's treatment was ancient history but I was a working adult at the time the powers of
the state were harassing gays - and I could be tempted to make a Linekar comparison, but will try and be non political.

Things are clearly better now, and I think it was the late great Vernon of this parish commenting that at the school he taught at the headmaster had announced in assembly "congratulations to Mr <such and such> his civil partnership with <whoever>" and the kids reacting with bored indifference just as if a straight couple's wedding had been announced.
My 12yo is nonplussed at some of the attitudes of her elders that she's beginning to become aware of.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
In the years after male homosexual acts were decriminalised in 1967 the number of arrests of men for soliciting for an immoral purpose actually went up.

Top Bottom