Pavement cycling - a different perspective?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the Portsmouth News

Brothers ask council to provide cycle path

Click on thumbnail to view image

« Previous
« Previous
Next »
Next »

View Gallery
By Alex Forsyth
TWO young brothers have hit out at inadequate cycle paths that force them to ride their bikes on busy roads.
Harry Haden-Brown, 13, and his 11-year-old brother Freddie were told not to ride on the pavement by Fareham mayoress Katrina Trott when they were cycling along Wickham Road.

But the notoriously busy stretch of the A32 – which runs along the top of St Christopher's Avenue where the boys live – doesn't have a designated cycle path and now the family is demanding one be installed.

Harry said: 'I do feel daunted riding on that stretch of road, particularly when big lorries come hurtling past. I don't think it is particularly safe to ride on the road as there are a lot of really big lorries.

'I think there should be more cycle lanes because it seems that cyclists are classed lower than other people.

'There are not that many cycle paths, and I think it is quite important that people use bikes instead of cars.

'But I don't think they will all the time they are made to feel unsafe.'

The road is a major route from Gosport through
the centre of Fareham borough.

But council bosses say there is not enough money to fund more cycle paths.

Cllr Trott said: 'It is a concern that I am well aware of but unfortunately everything comes down to money and priorities. It is a matter of trying to balance the different issues. And even if we had enough money where in Wickham Road would we put them? Already there is a problem with motorists parking on the pavement because of lack of space.'

Fareham Borough Council's policy is that cyclists are not allowed on the pavement – even youngsters. Cllr Trott added: 'I appreciate the concerns of cyclists but there is not enough money and not enough space. Pedestrians don't want cyclists to ride on the pavement because of a small minority who do not ride responsibly.'

Hampshire County Council, which is responsible for the road, said there are no plans to add a cycle route.

This is a fairly common sense view from these two lads, (although I think that claiming there is insufficient room for a cycle path due to illegally parked vehicles is a little rich!) and if it is a busy road is it not appropriate for children of this age to be on the pavement?

Comments?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Something that always sticks in my mind was when I was 14 and at school a lad was cycling down the same road that I used and 'disappeared' under an artic lorry. Once that happened I always used the footpath along that road.

Tony

I rode out from Fareham to Wickham and back for the festival the other weekend, with a full camping load, and it is a bit of a busy one. To be honest, I found it more worrying out of town after the motorway bridge.
The comments about cars are all too typical; pavement cycling is evil, and should be clamped down on, but Real People should be allowed to park.

Contrast this with Cameron's recent bollocks about all new cycle paths being on pavements.

Keith Oates

Janner
The old saying of 'where there's a will there's a way' is true, but for councils and government when it comes to cyclists, there's no will and no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

CAn I confess......................

This is a fast, narrow and very hairy stetch of road.

There is a short stretch of cycle path by a new roundabout (typical of a new development it stops on their boundary) however as at no point does there appear to be an official termination point I use the "Cycle path" along this road between The Motorway bridge and the top ofthe hill into Wickham.

"Well Officer it was clearly posted as a cycletrack back there and nothing here says it isn't"

Fareham Borough Council's policy is that cyclists are not allowed on the pavement – even youngsters. Cllr Trott added: 'I appreciate the concerns of cyclists but there is not enough money and not enough space. Pedestrians don't want cyclists to ride on the pavement because of a small minority who do not ride responsibly.'

and yet....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/407443.stm

In a letter to cycling MP Ben Bradshaw Home Office Minister Paul Boateng wrote "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of the traffic, and who show consideration to other pavement users."

actually Councillor Trott doesn't make the law. Parliament does.

Top Bottom