Pavement cycling, home office guidance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Recent thread had a quote of home office guidance to coppers ref. pavement cyclists.

Had a look, cant find it

Anyone able to help? (Original might have been Cab)

Maz

Guru
This one? It's got a few pages to it...

Cab

Sure. It was Paul Boateng (sp?) who, from the Home Office, advised the following:

The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.'

You'll find that copies of that plastered all over the net, for example here (well worth a look, this site):

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/campaigning/campaign1.html

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Nope thought it was the RLJer thread or the longrunning thread about Magnatom and the 'bloodbus' crew.

Had a scan there and can't see anything. A lot to go thro tho.

It was a quote of home office guidance, basically saying that pavement riding was essentially OK in certain circumstances.

Want to throw a spanner in the works on another forum and upset the car drivers.....

[Edit: thanks Cab]

Cab

Remember that the advice doesn't say that its okay to ride on the pavement, it just says that a copper should engage his brain before feeling someones collar for pavement cycling. Is the road particularly dangerous, is someone just avoiding a really nasty bit before going back on the pavement, is the cyclist six years old, etc. Just the same kind of advice that you'd hope that a copper would follow when deciding to collar someone for speeding (are they really just a shade over the limit, did they spot the change in limit too late and they were actively slowing down when spotted, etc.). Its good advice, but all too often it isn't followed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Are you talking about guidance for children or adults?

For kids, even 2 year olds its illegal under some very old act that hasn't been modified. However it is usually dealt with, with a Fixed Penalty Notice which can't be given to below 16 year olds? (think that's correct). And not many police are going to tell a 2 year old to get on the road.

Cab

summerdays said:
Are you talking about guidance for children or adults?

That guidance is for our boys and girls in blue. While police men look younger every year (a sign of getting on myself I guess), I'm sure they haven't yet recruited toddlers :biggrin:

The advice applies to all cyclists, its up to police officers and their superiors to decide which cyclists and which circumstances they should concern themselves with.

For kids, even 2 year olds its illegal under some very old act that hasn't been modified. However it is usually dealt with, with a Fixed Penalty Notice which can't be given to below 16 year olds? (think that's correct). And not many police are going to tell a 2 year old to get on the road.

I've seen a PCSO stop a pre-school child on a quiet, wide path and tell them that they can only cycle (on their cute little bike with stabilisers) on the road.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Cab said:
I've seen a PCSO stop a pre-school child on a quiet, wide path and tell them that they can only cycle (on their cute little bike with stabilisers) on the road.

Did you say 'owt, Cab?

domtyler

Über Member
I have just started taking my 10 month old to nursery where she does mornings. I have to take her and my bike so that I can get going straight after the drop. Today I just had to push the bike most of the way but got on the bike for one stretch of pavement with her in a kind of sling thing, she started to try to wriggle her way out of it though so I stopped. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a good way forward, it is a 15 minute walk and it doesn't feel safe carrying her and pushing the bike a the same time, I would like to get a chair for the pannier rack and cycle on the pavement at just above walking pace. What do others think? I don't mind going on the roads eventually in theory but am extremely nervous about doing it with this 'super-precious bundle' on board as any other parent will understand.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Cab said:

How could the PSCO do that!!! can you imagine what you would think if you were driving along and came across a wobbly 2 year old on the road - hopefully you would notice them sitting down low. Sometimes its bad enough seeing them on the pavement!!! when they are going all over the place.!!!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Mind, I guess as we've seen in Manchester, PCSOs don't get much by way of info regarding how cycles should be ridden

Cab

gambatte said:
Did you say 'owt, Cab?

I politely informed said PCSO that I would send a strongly worded letter to more or less everyone (Chief Constable, BBC, The Times, Local Paper, etc.) and she looked shocked, and told the brat that maybe he could ride further down where the pavement is wider.

frog

I have just started taking my 10 month old to nursery where she does mornings. I have to take her and my bike so that I can get going straight after the drop. Today I just had to push the bike most of the way but got on the bike for one stretch of pavement with her in a kind of sling thing, she started to try to wriggle her way out of it though so I stopped. Can anyone make any suggestions as to a good way forward, it is a 15 minute walk and it doesn't feel safe carrying her and pushing the bike a the same time, I would like to get a chair for the pannier rack and cycle on the pavement at just above walking pace. What do others think? I don't mind going on the roads eventually in theory but am extremely nervous about doing it with this 'super-precious bundle' on board as any other parent will understand.

To be honest I'd do the walk. You get the SPB where you want it all in one piece. You show SPB and everyone you're taking your parenting reaponsibilities seriously by not risking it. You get some quality time with SPB.

Top Bottom