Pavement cyclists

rh100

Well-Known Member
I predict a deliberate mudding of the waters on this.

In Birmingham, many wide pavements that have recently been re-signed now carry shared use signs. These appear and disappear at random, so it's often not clear whether or not pavement cycling is permitted or not. And in places like the city centre, many of the pedestrianised streets are shared use, with no signage to indicate this at all.

And in the main, people mix quite happily and no-one has a problem.

What I think does introduce a level of "you shouldn't be here" is when lines are painted on pavements, and I thing we're better off without these facilities. Pedestrians often wander into cycle lanes and cyclist have to move out of them because of street furniture etc, and then people get aggrieved at someone being where they shouldn't.

Also, the cycling map shows some cycling routes through parks, and one I ride through has no signs that I have noticed to allow or forbid riding a bike.
 

rh100

Well-Known Member
andyg9053 said:
As a traffic cop for 18 years i have seen too many dead cyclists killed by cars and lorries on the road. None were on the pavement and no pedestrians killed by cyclists on the pavement.

If you are not inconveniencing the pedestrians, ie riding on the pavement in a busy high st and are riding at a sensible speed then what is the harm. Apart from it being illegal in this nanny state.

Good common sense.
 
Here's a question on pavement - or "not on road" cycling?

I'm not sure of the law regarding this since there is a difference I believe between a "footpath" and other areas not on the road.

For instance...on my morning ride into work
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Han...=Njh96gZE7b_hm31jqZqJGw&cbp=11,342.95,,0,9.54

This is the view which faces me as I leave the legitimate cycle path. Now, I could go right along the road, this leads me onto a commonly used rat run which ends in a slightly irritating (for a cyclist) junction as it is up a slope, 2 lanes to turn left (need to be in the outside in order to make the right turn just afterwards) with tram tracks to turn along, plus drivers who get muddled with lanes.

-OR-

I can just go straight ahead, over the paved area and up the quiet road ahead, which leads to a straightforward junction, going straight ahead takes me to the road I need and back onto the network of cycle paths.

There seems to be no valid reason why this would not be marked as a shared facility or a cycle lane marked going ahead to join the lane and it is my opinion that it is just a case of not bothering becuasue "bikes will just go over there anyway". In short, the design of the cycle paths around, naturally lead to cycling across the paved area.

Is this a footpath or is it designated as something else, and, out of interest, what are the legalities of cutting across that paved area?

Now, it's worth swinging the view around temporarily by 180 degrees,to look at the most stupidly positioned railings across the cycle path which do nothing constructive since next to the cycle path are just bollards with wide gaps so it's not going to stop any motorbikes etc..don't see the point?
 
Mark_Robson said:
Are you one of these people who must have their tea stirred 36.5 times, their egg boiled for 3.76 minutes and their peas must be on the left hand side of their plate or their day is ruined? :becool:

Absolutely not. All my plates have lines down the middle and peas should stick to the right.
 

tordis

New Member
Location
London
rh100 said:
On a recent trip to Krakow, I noticed cycling was quite popular, and I didn't see anyone having issues with them being on the pavement (some of the roads were a bit mental ;) ). They also seemed to have a more relaxed attitude towards health and safety, a refreshing change to the UK.
Krakow is one of the few cities in Poland with very good bike path system. In most towns, though, you either ride on the pavement or risk your life on the roads full of mental drivers (and I mean really, really mental). Having said that, pavement cycling is perfectly normal there and you're right, no-one has any issues with people who ride on pavements.
 

Jezston

Über Member
Location
London
Thinking about it, at least we don't have pavement motorcyclists in the UK like you get in Paris.

And thank God the segway never really took off.
 

Jaguar

New Member
Location
Norfolk/Suffolk
beanzontoast said:
Where there's a shared (line delineated) facility, people need to stick to their own side.
... but they don't. And it's usually pedestrians who are at fault. What can you do? Bib them and you're rude, don't bib them and you're a silent menace.

It is confusing, when some paths are shared, some are segregated, and others (most) are peds only.

rh100 said:
Also, the cycling map shows some cycling routes through parks, and one I ride through has no signs
So does ours (my commute goes through a park, which is shown as cycle path on all the fancy Green Transport maps, but doesn't have a single Cycling Allowed sign on it anywhere). Emails to the council have got nowhere. They agree it's wrong, but haven't yet been out to paint the pavement.
 
Location
Edinburgh
Jaguar said:
... but they don't. And it's usually pedestrians who are at fault. What can you do? Bib them and you're rude, don't bib them and you're a silent menace.

Nope, there is no rule saying peds have to keep on one side of a solid white line. It is up to us as cyclists to keep on the correct side of the line and take due care around any pedestrians on the side we use. Slow down, even stop, and let them be. They will get out of your way eventually. Alternatively, use the road.
 

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Location
South London
Touche said:
Nope, there is no rule saying peds have to keep on one side of a solid white line. It is up to us as cyclists to keep on the correct side of the line and take due care around any pedestrians on the side we use. Slow down, even stop, and let them be. They will get out of your way eventually. Alternatively, use the road.

Quoted for truth, not that I'm always so good at following this.
 

rh100

Well-Known Member
Jezston said:
Thinking about it, at least we don't have pavement motorcyclists in the UK like you get in Paris.

And thank God the segway never really took off.

Bring back the C5
 

rh100

Well-Known Member
tordis said:
Krakow is one of the few cities in Poland with very good bike path system. In most towns, though, you either ride on the pavement or risk your life on the roads full of mental drivers (and I mean really, really mental). Having said that, pavement cycling is perfectly normal there and you're right, no-one has any issues with people who ride on pavements.

The centre of Krakow was quite a pleasant place. I noticed they have an automated bike rental system, was tempted but probably best I didn't :smile:

Parts of the public transport was, erm, interesting, for a tourist. Great value for money though.
 
Top Bottom