Pavement cyclists.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wonder how much this varies around the country - so that in areas of high cycle usage is it more or less tolerated? or whether that doesn't affect it at all.

There are a few areas locally where there are shared spaces (rather than paths) and so the cyclists and pedestrians can be travelling in a number of different directions ... I like the atmosphere where the two modes mingle, speeds are low in general (there are some idiots as there are in every form of transportation) as everyone is unpredictable.

Clandy

someoneswrong.jpg

Bicycle

I think...

(delay while he tosses a coin)

... that anyone who cycles on the pavement is a bad, bad, naughty person.

I base this on anecdotal evidence - all of it written and published - and on having once worked with someone who later joined the Police.

I think my views on this topic are fairly moderate, although of course anyone who disagrees with me (even a little bit) is utterly wrong.

It is quite clear from entirely anecdotal evidence (and from a thing I hear a bloke say at a bus stop) that the road is the place to ride a bicycle.

I often park my car with two or more wheels on the pavement - and the thought of some young lout on a bicycle bumping into it just makes my blood boil.

As far as I recall, cyclists pay no Vehicle Excise - so they have no moral case for using the pavement, the kerb or pedestrian underpasses (other than the time I cycled along the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, but that was OK because I was in a hurry).

I once read a book - and am therefore right. I rest my case.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think...

I base this on anecdotal evidence - all of it written and published - and on having once worked with someone who later joined the Police.

I think my views on this topic are fairly moderate, although of course anyone who disagrees with me (even a little bit) is utterly wrong.

It is quite clear from entirely anecdotal evidence (and from a thing I hear a bloke say at a bus stop) that the road is the place to ride a bicycle.

I often park my car with two or more wheels on the pavement - and the thought of some young lout on a bicycle bumping into it just makes my blood boil.

As far as I recall, cyclists pay no Vehicle Excise - so they have no moral case for using the pavement, the kerb or pedestrian underpasses (other than the time I cycled along the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, but that was OK because I was in a hurry).

:whistle: I didn't realise that VED meant you could park on the pavement... and I guess the policemen around here don't know either since they had slapped on multiple fines to cars parked on the pavements. So I guess any car parked on the pavement shouldn't get bumped by a bicycle but it is totally fine if the bike is ridden by a child or its a buggy pushed by a mum or a wheelchair? :biggrin: Cars on pavements are far worse than bikes :angry: .

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I'm just off out on me bike to ride at absolutely full tilt along the pavement, past the school and the retirement home, blidfolded and no handed and wielding a huge wiffle bat. So watch out.:biggrin:

lcjohnny

I think...

Truesay But I still see a lot of cyclists in Bristol racing along the pavement in the same arrogant top-dog way that SUV drivers use against the rest of us and i still see them both as the same yobbish problem

jon

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I was a pavement cyclist this morning. A lorry overtook me near some parked cars on the other side of the road and then had to start cutting in as cars came in the opposite direction, it was when I realised he had a trailer too and was still cutting in there wasn't going to be enough width of road for all of us. Fortunately there was a drop in the kerb and I was able to bail out onto the pavement. Bastard!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think...

Heh :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I saw a car parked up on the pavement and a man in a wheel chair in primary position in the middle of the road as a result. I don't remember seeing any pavement cyclists (apart from me on my cut through where I got off as there was a pedestrian), other than one primary school child, without an adult, on the way to school.

jonesy

Guru
I had another moan at me this morning for not riding on the pavement (a place motorists assume is a cycle path because there's a shared use path further along the same road), this happens once a month or so, but annoyingly this time it was from a colleague who cycles... took some arguing to get across the point that no it really is just a pavement and you shouldn't cycle there! I'm convinced that part of the increase in pavement cycling is because there has been so much use of crappy shared use pavements, both by encouraging cyclists to go onto the footway and by giving drivers the idea that cycling doesn't belong on the road. Quite a lot of my colleagues who cycle use the aforementioned pavement simply because they get so much hassle from drivers when they stay on the road. Which is understandable, but very depressing.

Top Bottom