Paving Slabs - cement stains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5273388, member: 9609"]cheers ^_^

A long way of being finished though, I want to do a mosaic thing with pebbles of the beach between each slab, and I don't often go there at this time of the year - also that grass needs to be raised to the hieght of the slabs and that edging I have put in, supposed to begetting the soil of a neighbour when her builder turns up, and he has a reputation of not turning up.
View attachment 413709

while I have your attention, how do you cut a slab on the curve? straight line it then grind it into shape, thats no going to be a very leasant job. If I drilled lots of holes (SDS) might it break quite close to the line (not so much grinding) Can a slab tolerate and SDS ? and it don't seem very likely it would break correctly.
Any other ideas ?
View attachment 413712 [/QUOTE]
If you have an angle grinder and a diamond masonry cutting blade, I would cut as deep as you can just outside the curve. Then cut a series of radial cuts in the waste section, the centres of which are the bottom right hand corner of the slab. Then "nibble" off the fingers of waste very carefully.

Finally, clean up the curve with a masonry grinding disc. It's the technique that glaziers use for making curved cuts
IMG_0820.JPG
in glass.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cutting a curve
I use a disc cutter ,but a diamond blade in a 9 inch grinder will work.

You cut at an angle .
If you lean the saw ,grinder towards the inner edge and cut in a slow back and forth action.
Its a long curve so quite easy.
Then tidy the cut edge ,though yours will be hidden in the lawn.

You can also do as slomo says which is a safer way for an inexperienced saw user use eye protection as cutting at an ange will cause a bit moe spitting from the blade " i know you will but be careful when using cutters like this"
Have a practice first on some bits of old flag first to get the hang of cutting a curve.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I do it slightly different to the glazing method upthread. Several cuts at almost right angles to the inward cuts shown in the diagram apthread. This results in a smoother finish without any ‘nibble’ marks. A stonemason taught me this.
That's also the only way on a tight curve.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to do bits like that with my disc cutter.
It's a lot easier if the slab is on a raised bench work table etc.
Then you can cut and trim with the blade at 90° ,then work back and forth with light pressure ,it will trim quite easily, and the dust will go downwards so not as bad .

If that makes sense?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

[QUOTE 5270501, member: 9609"]Somebody suggested they look like they're recycled (which I guess they are), and I'm into that sort of thing I'm happy with the save the planet look - so they're cut and down, bit of work before the job is finnished but thats the heavy bit done.
View attachment 413092 [/QUOTE]
I'd have put the line on the outside, take them all back up again :laugh::laugh:

slowwww

Veteran
[QUOTE 5273388, member: 9609"]I want to do a mosaic thing with pebbles of the beach[/QUOTE]
Nice job, but you do know that taking pebbles off the beach is illegal and is increasingly regarded as one of the causes of coastal erosion?

No doubt you'll only be taking 'a few', but extrapolate that across 30 million households and this is why it's a big issue. Your local landscape suppliers will be able to supply appropriate sourced pebbles.

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5318081, member: 9609"]sort of followed your advice on this and it worked much better than I imagined, the only variation I used was to first cut a third of the way through from the back, flip it over then worked from the front until it parted, just gently moved it back and forth and let it sink in - it fair made the grinder vibrate but it made ith through without breaking the convex side (I want that bit for later). finished it off with a small grinder with a thick diamond blade, made quick work of it (a bit dusty though)
View attachment 419988 View attachment 419989 [/QUOTE]

Very nice, in fact excellent work.
cutting the bottom helps a lot ,hard bit is cutting in the right place :laugh:
Ive cocked that up quite few times:banghead: rushing = bugger

Top Bottom