PayPal Account

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Never had a PayPal account, wouldn't have a clue what to do with one.

However I wanted to purchase something online today and it became obvious that the sellers method was PayPal. I opted for the option to pay by credit card and it automatically opened a PayPal account for me and sent my credit card payment via my new (unwanted) PayPal account!

Once I have received my purchase is there a well hidden option to close this PayPal account?

midlife

Guru
I presume you can log onto the PayPal account?

Seems an odd way to go about paying for something online.....

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Sounds dubious to me..
Someone opening a PayPal account for you? Is it in your name?
I think I'd be worried if they had my card details in that situation.

That was my thoughts Pete, it sort of auto directed me into opening a PayPal account and yes I have a username and password.

If I look at new unwanted account I have a zero balance and one transaction via credit card.

I think once my purchase arrives I will go in and close it.

Edit: Just checked my online banking and PayPal have taken £1.00 for the privilege of using their system. Will definitely knob it off!

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hate to say this but, you were in control. At what point did you feel uncomfortable and why didn't you stop then?

Many times during the purchase process I have walked away and said fk'm! Once they start adding in unreasonable delivery charges and £xxx for the colour you want, or the size you want, or it turns out the item you want is actually on back order despite showing in stock when you first look..... Until you press confirm on the payment page it is all your choice. No way I would be paying a pound for the privilege of using their preferred payment method!

vickster

Legendary Member
That was my thoughts Pete, it sort of auto directed me into opening a PayPal account and yes I have a username and password.

If I look at new unwanted account I have a zero balance and one transaction via credit card.

I think once my purchase arrives I will go in and close it.

Edit: Just checked my online banking and PayPal have taken £1.00 for the privilege of using their system. Will definitely knob it off!

What retailer?
I’ve never been charged by a bona fide company to use PayPal (I’m a sort of convert as it’s often easier than digging out a credit card).

mikeIow

Guru
With the benefit that someone can also pay you money via PayPal.
Sure, they could do an online bank transfer, but it is occasionally handy to send someone an email and get them to send you the money (note: tell them to chose ‘paying a friend’ to avoid any fees).
Nothing sinister about PayPal, just a handy online payment mechanism 🤷‍♂️

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
PayPal will often charge a nominal amount to a card to make sure it’s bona fida
Yes this is standard practice, sometimes it's a pound, other times it's 2 debits of 13p and 9p etc. PayPal do not charge the customer for using the service (apart from through eBay). Any charge will be to the seller using the service. I guess the seller could charge you for using PayPal and add that to the bill but that should be clearly set out at checkout. Whatever the case, it might have asked you to create a password but I highly doubt it created an account without your consent

Top Bottom