Paypal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

Hi

I'm an ebay virgin. What's the deal with paypal? Is this safe? Is it sensible/preferable to have a paypal account for settling purchases on ebay?

Thanks

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I can only say that I've had a Paypal account for a couple of years and had no problems. Paying for stuff on e.g. Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle is easier, and if you sell on e-bay, customers seem to like it. No doubt someone will have a horror story.

mondobongo

Über Member
It works well for ebay and some sellers will only accept paypal for purchases. It works well allowing you to pay and receive payments quickly without mucking about with cheques and po's. On the downside they take a commission for each payment that you receive.
As ever be careful and have a strong password for the account.

bobg

Über Member
Excellent for buying - if the item turns out to not as per the description etc, you can get a full refund via paypal should the seller refuse to play ball - although most are ok. Best avoided if you're selling as others have said because Paypal take quite a large percentage. Bank transfer is probaly safest but it tends to discourage some potential buyers

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i had a problem with pixmania when a camera i ordered got nicked by the postie. as i ordered by paypal, i put in a complaint and a refund was forthcoming almost instantaneously.

i like paypal.

bonj2

I sold something and didn't have proof of postage, but i had posted it, and paypal nicked the money back off me to refund the buyer. Twats.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Great for buying - any problem, Paypal will refund you.

Crap for selling - all a scammer has to do is claim some ficticious problem and Paypal will refund them and debit the money from your account, chasing you for it if you've already withdrawn it.

yenrod

Blackandblue said:
Hi

I'm an ebay virgin. What's the deal with paypal? Is this safe? Is it sensible/preferable to have a paypal account for settling purchases on ebay?

Thanks

STAY AWAY FROM EBAY - PAYPAL

yenrod

Gerry Attrick said:
Er..Yenners, could you please be more specific?

Well, how about everybody on this forum give's me there bank/card details but you know what:

You can trust me with 'em ;)

You REALLY can :biggrin:

Just PM me with all the details folks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Top Bottom