PBP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Matt finished it - 86hours and 13 minutes. Well done mate and to all who took part.:biggrin:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Well times up ! Ninety hours of fun packed riding is over !

For most of the UK riders, including a whole load from the ACF forum, it's been very successful despite the worst weather for 20 years. The traditional riders with their mudguards may have had things work out in their favour this time. But loads of people will also have been on race bikes, on tourers, recumbents, or trikes and tandems. It's even been done on a kick scooter!

Perhaps special mention should be made of Drew Buck from Somerset. He's done the whole thing on an ancient two speed roadster where the lower gear is worked by peddling backwards. He was also dressed as a traditional French onion seller, complete with strings of onions. Good Effort!

I found it was mixed emotions when I crossed the finish line in '03. There's definitely relief to have made it but also a real sense that it is all over. Literally. Something that had been a major part of my life for the previous couple of years was over. I assumed that sleep would be my first priority, but I felt more awake than I had for days. Even after a shower and some food I was still wide awake, so I went to a bar with a live band and drank loads of beer. But that just made me hyper, so I danced like an eejit until chucking out time. Surely that would do it, but as I lay in my tent my head was just spinning, partly from the beer but mainly with all the memories and feelings about the ride.

Then the munchies struck. I felt I was about to die of starvation. So I started to roam the streets near the campsite looking for food. To my shame (and France's) only McDonalds was open at 3 in the morning. Luckily an overload of sugar, fat and salt finally slated my bodies needs and I was at last able to drop into deep, deep sleep. Pity it was in a flower bed half way back to my tent.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
It was a harder route with more climbing than I expected and on two of the days the weather was lousy and I got trench foot. Still, I did it! Yaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom