PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a c.2004 ex-gaming pc returned to me today. I think its got a 6800GT card and some kind of AMD X2 chip in it ... will check tomorrow. Wonder if it will run Win 11?

Later than I thought! Mighty 8800GT and AMD X2 6000+ putting it 2007/8 I think but does have a 2004 dated HDD. Windows Vista era? Time to fettle and spark up.

Attachments

• 20220422_125813.jpg
    20220422_125813.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220422_125831.jpg
    20220422_125831.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 2
What are you all using these super-PCs for? :wacko:

My 5 year old laptop is powerful enough to do everything that I currently want to do. The music software that I have (FL Studio) can do way more complex stuff than I'd ever want it to.

Even the most powerful machine I have here (and it is pretty meaty, even by today's standards) is around a decade old. Donated by my younger son, who is a gamer, and only replaced by new stuff early in this new year. That's how powerful it is, although I don't have the monster graphics card that went with it.
Core i7-3820, 32GB RAM - this one - Win 10, monster Corsair monolith case, CPU is water cooled.
Core i7-2600K, 8GB RAM, Win 11 (the P8H61m-LX small form factor box).
Core 2 Duo T9550, 8GB RAM, Win 10, laptop
Core 2 Duo T7200, 3GB RAM, Win 8.1, laptop
Celeron N3050, 2GB RAM, Win 10, netbook, really.
The Celeron is under 5 years old, and is by far the weediest of the lot, but very small, convenient, and with a touch screen. Everything else is, by PC standards, antique...
Later than I thought! Mighty 8800GT and AMD X2 6000+ putting it 2007/8 I think but does have a 2004 dated HDD. Windows Vista era? Time to fettle and spark up.
That would make a pretty unstoppable general-purpose PC with an SSD upfront.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention - they all sounded super-powerful! :laugh:

My laptop has a 2.2 GHz i7-6560U CPU. Only 8 GB RAM and that is not upgradeable. The SSD is 256 GB and is currently only about 50% full but at some point I may put a faster 1-2 TB SSD in.

It's a pity that I can't put more memory in, but so far it has not been a big issue.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What are you all using these super-PCs for? :wacko:

Nothing beats bringing old kit back to life and keeping the cash out of Currys pocket!
Unfortunately, trying to play modern games at 4K needs proper graphics grunt, even quality 3 year old kit just won't cut it, alas.
[/QUOTE]

99% of the time it's social media battering, then they may game..... my kids are prime examples....

trying to play modern games at 4K
In my mind, games have not got significantly better since Unreal Tournament GOTY 1999. Graphics-wise, massively, but otherwise? Same old, same old...
And my Core 2 Duo T7200 laptop can handle that, easily.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm sat here on an older i7 4700 series laptop with 16gb ram, 1TB SSD and a 1TB HDD and Nvidia graphics :smooch:

It was a gaming laptop I got for my son when he was diagnosed as a T1 diabetic at 14 (7 years ago), massive shock, so I went and got it for him. I've now inherited it. Fab laptop, and has a fab 17.3" screen for my poor eyesight.. :smile:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've just stumbled across what might be the h****t debate of the computing world.... does it matter which thermal paste/gunk is used between the CPU and cooler? some say it does, it really really does. some say it don't. There's only one way to settle it... ask a cyclist!

Last edited:
I've just stumbled across what might be the h****t debate of the computing world.... does it matter which thermal past/gunk is used between the CUP and cooler? so say it does, it really really does. some say it don't. There's only one way to settle it... ask a cyclist!
Unless you are a fanatic gamer or do something else that canes the CPU, no, it doesn't matter. Get a tube of Arctic Silver 5, cheap and more than good enough.

Top Bottom