PCs left on in the office

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
There is several people who occasionally work in this office who are terrible for leaving their PCs on. I am wondering whether I can switch them off, as it's possible that they may be logging into the PC from home to do work on it. Is there a way of telling whether someone is working on it from outside?

mark barker

Switch them off, you'll find out in the morning if they were trying to work from home± :thumbsup:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I use logmein when working from home but will only work if my office PC is left on. I would not be too chuffed to find someone had turned it off in my apparant absence.

There is several people who occasionally work in this office who are terrible for leaving their PCs on. I am wondering whether I can switch them off, as it's possible that they may be logging into the PC from home to do work on it. Is there a way of telling whether someone is working on it from outside?

Turn em off... you'll find out soon enough :evil:

Seriously, no, there isn't. I can log on to my pc remotely from home, but until I do it will look like a normal pc left on by mistake.

You can always turn the screen off though...

There's no way of telling (unless you have admin rights) that someone is logged in remotely.

Plus they may have left it on for a reason. I know I've had processing jobs that have taken several hours (and days) to run and have required the PC to stay on.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I normally leave a post it on the screen saying 'please don't turn me off' if I need others to leave it on

Turn the screen off regardless.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Are you their boss? Personally if someone were to turn my PC off at night without asking me first, I'd regard it in much the same light as if they cleared my desk and hid everything that had been on it in a shoebox - i.e. in a very poor light

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Well it pisses me off when people waste electricity. I'd switch their electric fans and fan heaters off if they left them on and weren't in the room. I'm working in a PhD office. Two of the computers have notices on them saying they're running simulations. You can almost tell they're being used by the noise they make. The other two, I am pretty sure, have just been left on. They're being used by two new arrivals I don't know very well. They come in every now and again for an hour or so and then go.

rusky

CC Addict
snip... i'd regard it in much the same light as if they cleared my desk and hid everything that had been on it in a shoebox - i.e. in a very poor light

Really? it's a good job you don't work where I do :evil: We've taken monitors when someone's gone for coffee!

Top Bottom