PCSO fining powers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
"Yes constable, but my bike was manufactured before 1990". I mean many of our bikes are composed of components arranged and rearranged over decades. And, unlike motor vehicles being first registered by DVLA there is no recorded date for bicycles. Would CPS really want to spend time and money fighting that?

AFAIK the law was actually aimed at ensuring bikes came on to the market with the required attachments and that would be the most likely area of enforcement. Have they ever tried to stop the farce of shops giving a bike in one hand and the pedals in the other to try and avoid the law?

Alun

Guru
I've had this bike for 25 years, it's had 3 new frames and 5 new wheels!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The advice from CTC that "Lights (and reflectors) are required on a pedal cycle only between sunset and sunrise." is factually incorrect. The RVLR require them to be fitted at all times (see Regulation 18 and Schedule 1 Table III) but used between sunset and sunrise (Regulation 24).
BUT ...... ?
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
You are here:
(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to–

(a)a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp,

(b)an incomplete vehicle proceeding to a works for completion,

(c)a pedal cycle,

(d)a pedestrian-controlled vehicle,

(e)a horse-drawn vehicle,

(f)a vehicle drawn or propelled by hand, or

(g)a combat vehicle.

- bit confusing, isn't it?

The reflectors have to be visible to the front and rear of each pedal, not from the front and rear of the cycle, ie they have to be fitted and you have to be able to see that they are fitted. Happy to help!
Pedal Reflectors: Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.

There are some pedals where they end up being completely covered by the shoes, such as Speedplay Light Action. I wonder how they'd look at those, if by some miracle, someone tried to stop you.

youngoldbloke

Yep - as Regulation 18 says they shall be fitted and there is no exemption in the relevant table,
But Part 1 regulation 4 specifically exempts pedal cycles, and Regulation 18 states " (1) Save as provided in the foregoing provisions of these Regulations ...." - I thought 'save as' meant 'except' or 'with the exception of''? Please explain.

byegad

Legendary Member
The reflectors have to be visible to the front and rear of each pedal, not from the front and rear of the cycle, ie they have to be fitted and you have to be able to see that they are fitted. Happy to help!
Pedal Reflectors: Four are required, coloured amber and marked BS6102/2 (or equivalent), positioned so that one is plainly visible to the front and another to the rear of each pedal.
And fitted in the traditional position the 'front' one will be visible to passing aircraft and UFOs and the 'rear' to earthworms and beetles I pass over. So not visible front and rear, The rear one will need to reflect light back through my ample bum, the seat back and parts of the rear of the trike. Any suggestions as to how to successfully do this are likely to win the Nobel Prize for Extreme Cleverness.

Recycle

Über Member
That's a good one. It may be worth the entertainment value just to see how much court time can be occupied debating which part of the pedal is front and which is rear where on a recumbent the foot mostly points to the sky.

If this turns out to be an issue - which I doubt - cyclists can easily sabotage by en-mass opting not to pay the fine and have their day in court. The court time and expense consumed for a trivial issue that can't demonstrate any logical purpose would force a rethink. That is unless UKIP is in charge...

Mr Celine

Discordian
BUT ...... ?
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989
  • Regulation 4
(3) Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to–

(a)...,

(b)...,

(c)a pedal cycle,

- bit confusing, isn't it?

Looks crystal clear to me. What part of 'nothing in these regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to a pedal cycle' are people having difficulty with?

youngoldbloke

Looks crystal clear to me. What part of 'nothing in these regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to a pedal cycle' are people having difficulty with?
I was not confused until reading User's posts. If you read through the posts you will see I was replying to his comments concerning Regulation 18 etc. He still hasn't explained his interpretation.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Bearing in mind, very few cyclists get fined for riding without lights. This is mainly due to officers being to busy to spend 15 minutes required to hand out tickets.
PCSO's may have a little more time on their hands. However I would suggest that the first cyclist to pick up a fine for having no reflectors on their bike will have been stopped for something else and failed the "Attitude Test" in a major way!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The law is out of date, and needs updating. See also the law about legally entering an ASZ.

I have SPDs with no way of fitting a reflector, but I am lit up like a Christmas tree and my shoes have reflective areas on the heels.
So although I am breaking the letter of the law, I am complying with the spirit of it.

Given that some PCSOs (Police Constable Shaped Objects. Haha!) seem to be over-zealous with trying to issue fines for things that aren't even offences, I do worry that they will dish out unjust fines.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Ben most constabularies will offer guidelines for the issuing of fines for this. I will get on the case and see if I can get Cambridgeshire to start the ball rolling!

Reactions: srw

Boothy

Is it a worry that, should you be hit by a car, and it is totally the drivers fault, and the damage to either you or the bike is significant enough that the insurance company try and fight it, the lack of reflectors means that legally you shouldn't be on the road and so you lose the case?? Despite the accident being totally the drivers fault, and you being lit up like a Christmas tree, you lose the case and the medical costs, or new bike costs now have to be covered by yourself and the driver of the car gets off scot free?

Top Bottom