Peak District/Yorkshire/Oop North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I'm looking at possibly coming south next month to do a few rides in the Peak District, then heading up a wee bit to Yorkshire and beyond for a couple more.

I have no knowledge of the areas. On a road map it looks as if I can stay in fairly central locations to the route starts/finish without it being too much of an effort. However, it seems from traffic reports that English roads (especially true for Peak District if I were to stay in Manchester, which seems to be never ending...:wacko:) are much worse than what I am familiar with.

The rides I am thinking about start in Stalybridge, Marple and Uppermill (Peak District) and Aldbrough St John, Haydon Bridge and Danby (Oop North)

Any recommendations? Can I stay "sort of central"? Or should I just change locations and move as near to the start as I can?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Of those areas, I know the Peaks and the Dales relatively well. I do think the roads are pretty awful in terms of surfacing (we went to the Peaks the week we got back from Austria and I felt quite insecure on them) but you do get used to it. Traffic is no worse than anywhere else in the UK, I think.

If you were in the Peaks I'd say somewhere like Bakewell or Hathersage would be a great place to base yourself.

Any use?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There are a lot of campsites around the bakewell area. The Hathersage area suffers from traffic problems to say the least at times but should be fine at the crack of dawn times on weekends you're probably talking about Noodley. For a similar mileage there are lots of places on the outskirts of Sheffield too. Those areas are outside of the Peaks. You might want to stay around Glossop or Chapel-en-le-Frith?

Ask fossyant and longers, they're pretty close to where you'd start.

Chris James

Über Member
If you are looking for a central base you could do worse that base yourself in the Huddersfield area as it is handy for the northern Peak district and south Pennines.

It depends what routes you want to do and how far you want to go and how much climbing. If you are happy doing say 80 milers with 2500m climbing then you can position yourself centrally and cover a lot of the area in day rides.

Classic Pennines passes around here are Holme Moss, Isle of Skye, Buckstones, Snake Pass, all of which are pretty good. There are no roads over Kinder Scout and Bleaklow which tends to make for long circular routes in these areas. May be better moving on from day to day in these areas?

Are you camping?

The roads surfaces are a mixed bag, some are very bad, others on waggon routes can be very broken. Kirklees' (Huddersfield area) roads are about as bad as they come (lots of high roads 200m - 400m ASL and gritted lots breaks up the surface). Having said that I run 23mm tyres without any problems.

Hugo15

Über Member
The roads around Danby are very quiet. I would also recommend the cafe at the National Parks Moors Centre at Danby. Great cakes!! (Mrs Hugo15 is reading this as I type and dreaming of the cakes now!)

Would be interested to know what your planned route is.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Hugo15 said:
I would also recommend the cafe at the National Parks Moors Centre at Danby. Great cakes!! ...
Would be interested to know what your planned route is.

I'm pleased to hear that, as the ride starts, has a half time visit, and finishes there (although I'll have to check opening times).

The route goes Danby-Osmotherley-Helmsley-Danby-Egton-Pickering-Scalby-Egton-Danby.

I have a selection of audax Perms and calendar events to choose from. I am not sure how many I will be able to fit in. It looks like Glossop might be the preferred choice for the Peak rides as it seems fairly central to Marple, Stalybridge and Uppermill and will save me moving base - I am not camping, but looking for somewhere cheap. I hope Glossop can offer me something in the range of "cheap", but if not I can then look elsewhere nearby. I can then head up towards Aldbrough St John...

The Danby and Haydon Bridge rides may have to wait for another time, and they are not as far south as the Peak rides, so there's more scope for me popping down. I can then try to fit in all the Peak rides this time and get them over and done with.

I am crap at planning these things and usually find out I have made a complete arse of timings and end up sleeping in a layby after getting lost for hours, or arriving too early or too late.

Thanks for the suggestions :sad:

Hugo15

Über Member
That's one hell of a route! How far is it? There must be some serious climbing in there too. Don't suppose you have a route sheet?

One of my favourite rides is a 60 miler out to the cafe at Danby and back. A mere trip round the block in comparison to the ride you are planning!

One option for accommodation in Danby would be the Duke of Wellington

http://www.dukeofwellingtondanby.co.uk/index.asp

I have no idea if it is any good though but it is close to the Moors Centre (apporx 1 mile).

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Hugo15 said:
That's one hell of a route! How far is it? There must be some serious climbing in there too. Don't suppose you have a route sheet?

There are written directions between controls, but not a route sheet. I have yet to get it to work out on bikely but should do so fairly soon, as I'm sure the "wrong turns" I keep taking are running out so by default I'll eventually get the right route.

It's listed as 210km with 4000m of ascent.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Hugo15 said:
If you need any help sorting the route on the western section give me a shout as this is where I ride.

Thanks very much. :sad::becool: I think I got that bit okay, it's the bit heading out again from Danby that looks like it's causing the problems. I have not looked at it for a while, but will get back to it soon.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Noodley said:
I am not camping...

I may revise the above statement. What I should have said was "I had not thought of camping" but now the idea is there I very well may just do that! It'll add to the fun, and save on the pennies as well. :sad:

I've had a quick look and this could be the start of a complete cock-up of Frank Spencer/Laurel and Hardy proportions decent plan.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Noodley said:
I'm pleased to hear that, as the ride starts, has a half time visit, and finishes there (although I'll have to check opening times).

The route goes Danby-Osmotherley-Helmsley-Danby-Egton-Pickering-Scalby-Egton-Danby.

Fantastic route. I like the South and West of the NYMs national park very much. If you can go through the Hole of Horcum.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Okay, plan has been hatched and matured a bit. I'll be heading down to Glossop area and (hopefully, subject to available bit of grass) staying at a campsite. Then riding a calendar event and a couple of perms before heading back home (I might squeeze in one final ride, but more likely to go for a few beers on the final night then have a late breakfast before heading home). I'm no longer planning on the Aldbrough St John ride as it's too much of a hassle moving then camping then riding then driving home.

The North Yorks Moors ride can wait, but I shall definitely ride it sometime soon(ish). I'll see what my diary wife and kids says later. My club are venturing towards the Borders for a hostel weekend later this year so I can maybe pop over the border then.

Not sure I can fit the Pennines ride in, but I'll see...

Thanks again for all the tips :smile::blush: