Peak District/Yorkshire/Oop North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Chris James said:
Out of interest, what are the routes you are riding in the Peak?

Mid Peak Grimpeur - not sure of the controls but AUK site says it goes via "Snake, Stanage, Hathersage and Monyash."
Marple-Goyt - controls at Marple, Goyts Moss, Longnor, Langley, Chinley, Mottram, Marple
Edale - controls at Uppermill, Stanbury, Wycoller, Cragg Vale, Uppermill
Widdop - controls at Stalybridge, Edale, Bradwell, Combs, Rowarth, Stalybridge
(Not sure if I'll do both of the final rides, but certainly one of them.)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mid Peak route I'm pretty familiar with if it goes exactly where I think it does. Great stuff, some great views up that way. Can't argue with Edale either.

longers

Legendary Member
Just got to this thread - camping will be great! ;)

For basing yourself near to Marple, Stalybridge and Uppermill there is a campsite at Greenfield (Saddleworth). It's a couple of miles from Stalybridge, only a few from Marple and about one from Uppermill - you can ride to the start of the events easily from there.
I've just looked online for this site and can't find it :biggrin: I'll pop by at some point and try and get more details.

There is a good pub (Royal George) with decent ale and great food a few hundred yards away and your only a mile or so from more pubs and food in Uppermill.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

longers said:
Just got to this thread...

You took your bloody time! :biggrin:;):biggrin:

I sent an e-mail to a campsite at Glossop last night but no reply yet; the one you mention sounds good, if it's still there...I have done loads of searches over the past week and can't remember seeing it mentioned. ;)

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Anyone wanna see my brand new sleeping bag, bought specially for this trip? I think I'll get noticed :tongue:
Before posting a link I should add I hate feeling like my legs are 'trapped' and have never got on with conventional sleeping bags. So, this is a fantastic product for me:

http://www.geniegadgets.com/gadgets_uk/selkbag.html

...I do have a pic of me trying it out today. But you ain't seeing that...;):ohmy:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

dan_bo said:
giz a shout when you're over noodley-me an longers'll mob ya!

PM sent to you and longers - I've no idea what "mob ya" means but I look forward to finding out :biggrin: Should I bring vaseline? :rolleyes::biggrin:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

OK, that did not go according to plan.
One ride, and meeting up with longers were the highlights.
Two nights spent bent double in the front seat of a small car due to a leaky tent was the lowlight - resulting in me leaving for home :wacko:

However, plans are being hatched for a return in October, this time with hostel accomodation and not a bloody wet soggy tent or the front seat of a small car...

kennykool

Thats a shame Noodley. That sleeping bag looks an abaolute cracker by the way - gonna get me one of those bad boys.

My first Audax on 31st - getting quite excited about it.

I will be riding a Red and White Trek and wearing a VW Trek team outfit - look forward tro meeting you!