Peak Stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I got paid yesterday .... I didn’t rush out to but that special thing i’ve been coveting, waiting for payday .... because i’ve hit ... PEAK STUFF.
At 63 i’ve got 2 steel framed bikes ... enough Planet X cycling kit to see me out .... the freezers full and the bills are paid .... i know ..lucky me.
But there’s no excitement about getting paid anymore ... when younger it was “on payday i’ll have 2 new tubs “ , .... “ come payday i’ll have a new jersey “ .. "On payday we’ll all go to the cinema. “ ........

mmmmmm ... I’m sort of posting a Twitter Abuse magnet aren’t I.
There must be others that have got all the stuff they need ,,, through hard work and diligence I'm sure.
At a certain age you just run out of stuff to need ....

Last edited:
Good evening,

In the 1970s I lusted over a Linn LP12 turntable (vinyl record player) because the magazines said so, I ended up with a Michell GyroDeck for a long time and loved it.

Then I had to have Red/Black team issue Raleigh with the fragile titanium BB and ended up with a Holdsworth 531 Special and it was great.

Then my flat mate had a 1.9 Peugeot 205 GTI and I had a Moss Monaco kit car.

Today I looked again at the Raleigh 753 Team Replica and I ended up with some fish and chips and not the new Walkers crisps so flavoured either.

BUT I DO NEED 12 SPEED Dura-ACE, YES, ITS LIKE BEING YOUNG AGAIN, there is no reason for it but its either that or pay the council tax.

Bye

Ian

carpiste

Guru
thought i had everything i needed then i went and lost a ton of weight now i need to start again at least on the clothing front.
I lost 2st 10lb and now I can get into old clothes from the wardrobe and I can wear other stuff baggy, like my street cred has gone up massive!
lol. street cred my Asp! I`m 61 and street cred isn`t on my agenda :becool:

a.twiddler

Veteran
You reach an age where you buy things just to use and enjoy or to keep what you've got running. Experiences are probably more important than things. Unless you discover some amazing new interest (eg recumbents) and even then probably have to consider just how far you can stretch n+1. Unless you have relatives eagerly eyeing up your possessions all your prized stuff is just someone else's house clearance junk once the vital spark disappears.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You reach an age where you buy things just to use and enjoy or to keep what you've got running. Experiences are probably more important than things. Unless you discover some amazing new interest (eg recumbents) and even then probably have to consider just how far you can stretch n+1. Unless you have relatives eagerly eyeing up your possessions all your prized stuff is just someone else's house clearance junk once the vital spark disappears.
My grandson has his eye on my rifles ....!

I suppose I’m in the same bracket

I’m not rich but have more than enough to buy all the gadgets and gizmos but I still dont

it takes me ages to spend on ‘stuff’

apart from the new CDF40 I bought after the old one was nicked, the most I’ve spent out on was £120 for an Alpkit down sleeping bag, just before the first lockdown, although that was bought with vouchers that I received from work (I had planned it that way)

even birthdays and Christmas when the usual ‘what do you want’ arises, I can’t actually think of anything

It’s a nice position to be in but takes the lustre off any new trinkets

Having the things you need and being satisfied with life comes with age in general. I noticed this when I retired, got the stuff I really needed then that was it ^_^ Now I either have everything I need or can manage with what I have.
As the Beatles said, "all you need is love!" and good health ;)
agree, though can't help pondering your beatles reference - who wrote that - lennon or mcartney?
Elton John's rewrite of a certain lennon work:
Imagine six apartments, it isn’t hard to do, one is full of fur coats, another’s full of shoes.’

I got paid yesterday .... I didn’t rush out to but that special thing i’ve been coveting, waiting for payday .... because i’ve hit ... PEAK STUFF.
At 63 i’ve got 2 steel framed bikes ... enough Planet X cycling kit to see me out .... the freezers full and the bills are paid .... i know ..lucky me.
But there’s no excitement about getting paid anymore ... when younger it was “on payday i’ll have 2 new tubs “ , .... “ come payday i’ll have a new jersey “ .. "On payday we’ll all go to the cinema. “ ........

mmmmmm ... I’m sort of posting a Twitter Abuse magnet aren’t I.
There must be others that have got all the stuff they need ,,, through hard work and diligence I'm sure.
At a certain age you just run out of stuff to need ....
agree with your general theme - but 2 bikes? - what have you been doing with your life?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
examples please. Maybe good for an innocent non malicious laugh.
A mirror which fits on your wrist. I have mirrors on all my bikes anyway and on the trike as well so pretty useless.
Next a cycling jersey XL which is actually more like XS and is so tight it could split.Unwearable.
Book token but I cannot find a book I actually want to buy. I read books but I have more books on my shelves than I could reread in my remaining lifetime. I also use kindle.
Will that do for now?

Top Bottom