Peaks on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A local club (that I used to be a member) actually had a pop at one of my mates because he was wearing a helmet with a peak and, in their view (well at least one of the senior established riders on a a club run) it was a MTB helmet and has no place on the road. Twat:banghead:

To which I would have replied "peckers have no place on the road, but you're here anyway."

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I take the peak off on the road, purely because when in the drops it gets in the way of my vision when looking up. If the peak is on I have to strain my head further. On my MTB I ride with a peak, not sure why, I just feel a bit more protected when hitting branches etc.

On my MTB I ride with a peak, not sure why, I just feel a bit more protected when hitting branches etc.

Yes, but with a peak you will hit more branches since it restricts your upwards vision. I'm sure you've come across this phenomena when wearing a hat and moving through low branches in a forest. So, a peak will cause you to hit branches but probably protect you from them then. Weird but true....I think.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I agree partially, after a few minutes I think I learn to adjust for the extra height and tend to duck a little more. However I can never seem to adjust for my backpack, that always takes a clobbering, I suspect that is probably more because I am not as flexible as I used to be.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I stopped wearing my helmet last winter and I have to say, I really missed the peak one afternoon whilst cycling into hailstones and a headwind. Never considered the safety aspects of it but I guess that's all redundant now (for me, anyway).

THIS is a proper peak:

Indeed. It reminds me of those things ladies in the movies wear when taking a basket out into a field and pick flowers.

OP
OP
steveo269

steveo269

Well,that was a fairly comprehensive answer to my question,there was me thinking it was a fashion thing !

My peak practically comes off every time I go over a bump so the danger of it snagging are remote,I think I'll keep it :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I constantly wear a sun visor on my helmet. Apart from keeping the sun's glare down and most of the rain off my face at night time it also keeps car headlights glare out my eyes.

Last edited:

Red17

Veteran
Motor-cycle helmets are specified to have as smooth exteriors as possible. And there's a school of thought that one of the reasons evolution has left us with hair on our heads is because hair provides lower friction than skin, again reducing the risk of angular accelerations when hitting things.

Think thats as much to do with wind resistance as anything else and the peak trying to rip your head off at speed.

Most motocross helmets have peaks.

Red17

Veteran
Thinking about it pretty much any off road motorcycling sport uses peaked helmets - motocross / enduro / trials / supermoto/ speedway etc.

Must be where the MTB'ers got the idea from.

Top Bottom