Pearl Izumi series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squid lips

Coming to barrow in Furness on 29th may:hyper: anybody local on the forum attending this race ,Bradley Wiggins new team is participating this year

Last edited:

HorTs

Über Member
I might have got confused but it also visiting the Isle of Wight which is local for me :-)

oldroadman

Veteran
List of all the venues and dates now published. Isle of Wight start, Bath finish, via Scotland, Wales, midlands, London area. A tough five weeks for all involved. The racing bit is almost easy compared to the travelling.

HorTs

Über Member
Does anyone have any times for the races? I can't seems to fnd anything on the site.

Are they evening events?

MisterStan

Label Required
Managed to find this on the website, usually the men race after the women.

The full list of rounds is as follows:
Round One, Thursday 14 May, Ryde, Isle of Wight (including Team Time Trial)
Round Two, Tuesday 19 May, Redditch
Round Three, Friday 22 May, Aberystwyth (including Hill Climb)
Round Four, Tuesday 26 May, Motherwell
Round Five, Thursday 28 May, Durham
Round Six, Friday 29 May, Barrow
Round Seven, Tuesday 2 June, Croydon
Round Eight, Thursday 4 June, Canary Wharf
Round Nine, Tuesday 9 June, Peterborough
Round Ten, Thursday 11 June, Bath

In 2015 the Matrix Fitness Grand Prix Series will once again consist of five rounds. Three new venues will host Britain's fastest women, with Redditch hosting the opening event, while the Series concludes in the world-famous city of Bath, alongside the final event in the men's calendar.
Round One, Tuesday 19 May, Redditch, 6pm
Round Two, Tuesday 26 May, Motherwell, 5.30pm
Round Three, Tuesday 2 June, Croydon, 5.30pm
Round Four, Tuesday 9 June, Peterborough, 5.30pm
Round Five, Thursday 11 June, Bath, 5.30pm

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
If you're unsure about going, I've been to the last two Canary Wharf ones and they were fun. Took my wife along last time and she really enjoyed it too. I'd imagine the town centre ones are even better, Canary Wharf is 'just' a big oval and the atmosphere can be a bit diluted as a large chunk of people are just business types looking a bit disgruntled at being inconvenienced by it all.

I'll apologise in advance for the guy on the tannoy though.

oldroadman

Veteran
Women's race preceded men where there are two races. I think the men start 19.30 every round, except there are two odd ones where an afternoon event is added (Isle of Wight and Aber-wot-sit). Good evening out, Canary Wharf is a big rectangle and OK, I've seen Peterborough and that's more interesting, Aber thingy is great if the weather's nice, twisty and hilly. can't agree about the commentary, there are two of them who work off each other, one seems to stir up the crowd (needed) and the other is all information. Good mixture. We have to remember that a lot of the people watching may be at their first live bike race!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Can't agree about the commentary, there are two of them who work off each other, one seems to stir up the crowd (needed) and the other is all information. Good mixture. We have to remember that a lot of the people watching may be at their first live bike race!

Hmm, I can't remember much actual information coming over the tannoy, but I guess there was a bit. My bugbear was the guy who only seemed to say 'lets make some noise' and 'hup hup hup hup hup' but then I am a naturally grumpy person :-)

I think we are considering also going to the Croydon round this year, hoping it'll be a more complex shape. But we'll do Canary Wharf anyway.

oldroadman

Veteran
Hmm, I can't remember much actual information coming over the tannoy, but I guess there was a bit. My bugbear was the guy who only seemed to say 'lets make some noise' and 'hup hup hup hup hup' but then I am a naturally grumpy person :-)

I think we are considering also going to the Croydon round this year, hoping it'll be a more complex shape. But we'll do Canary Wharf anyway.
Well for people within the sport, they have enough knowledge to make commentary a small aside, surely. Just enjoy and don't be grumpy. The organisers would not hire the speaker if the crowds started staying away, after all.

The Scottish round is in Motherwell less than 1/2 mile from my house. However IMO the circuit isn't great - basically a rectangle round residential streets with a steepish climb to the start/finish line. I will go and watch though as its not everyday a bike race comes to town

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Stand at a corner and boggle how fast, and tight, they come round it. First year at Canary Wharf I heard the 'ting' of something metallic hitting the barriers at blur MPH as they came past. Stunning.

Top Bottom