Pedal advice (Clipless)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

new bikes are not supplied with pedals. I am hoping to finally get a new roadbike soon. It is a full carbon frame. So...

...I could fit some shimano M520 double sided jobbies like I am used to on my touring bike, or go for some of thos eother types (look??) I have seen on faster lightweight carbon bikes.

I am confused as to which would be best. The shimanos are perfect for me currently and it would mean I would not need to get some new roadshoes, however they are heavy and the other type seem to be lighter...are they??

Why put heavy pedals on a fast lightweight bike?? I dunno ...which type is th ebest type to fit?Ta.:biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
The motivation of people to use road pedals as opposed to SPDs is more power transfer rather than weight, although it is difficult to quantify this.

I have Shimano A520s on my audax bike, which are a single sided SPD which would fit your existing shoes. They are 315g and lighter that 105 SPD-SLs (325g).

(Edit - for the record Dura-Ace are only 281g so pedals aren't an area you will save much weight really)

domtyler

Über Member
Pedals constitute rotational mass so you should go for the lightest you can. Forget clunky old SPD's and get some decent road pedals and shoes for hugely increased power transfer, comfort and performance.

As you have said, why spend all that money on a lightweight road bike and then ruin it with heavy, clunky and inefficient mountain bike pedals? It just wouldn't be right!

Danny

Legendary Member
I recently got some A520s and have been pleased with them as I wanted a light weight SPD alternative to M520s that still gives support to your feet (though I know others will question whether it really provides that much support).

However the tension is much tighter than on my old LIDL M520 clones - leading to more than one clipless moment!

SPD wise, also an A520 user, no issues with them once set up but as these are my first clipless I have no comparisons to make and advise you on.

Chris James

Über Member
domtyler said:
Pedals constitute rotational mass so you should go for the lightest you can.
Hardly, a handfful of grams on your tyres would make much more difference. To quote Chris Juden, the CTCs technical expert 'pedals do not rotate fast enough for their mass to be significantly more important than any other bicycle part'

domtyler said:
Forget clunky old SPD's and get some decent road pedals and shoes for hugely increased power transfer, comfort and performance.

Even when the SPDs I suggested are lighter than a similar priced road pedal? Most posters on here have ended up agreeing that the shoes make more difference than the pedals in terms of power transfer and comfort.

domtyler said:
As you have said, why spend all that money on a lightweight road bike and then ruin it with heavy, clunky and inefficient mountain bike pedals? It just wouldn't be right!

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I had the A520's on my carbon bike when it was new. I eventually upgraded to spd-sl's but I kept the A520's and put them on my sirrus. IMO they're a nice pedals.

yenrod

Bigtallfatbloke said:
new bikes are not supplied with pedals. I am hoping to finally get a new roadbike soon. It is a full carbon frame. So...

...I could fit some shimano M520 double sided jobbies like I am used to on my touring bike, or go for some of thos eother types (look??) I have seen on faster lightweight carbon bikes.

I am confused as to which would be best. The shimanos are perfect for me currently and it would mean I would not need to get some new roadshoes, however they are heavy and the other type seem to be lighter...are they??

Why put heavy pedals on a fast lightweight bike?? I dunno ...which type is th ebest type to fit?Ta.:angry:

Big - go for the lighter as your rotating that weight and this will tire you.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok ta...I think given th ecost of th ebike I may as well get some decent pedals and new shoes at the same time...I will see if th edealer will do a deal if I get them all at the same time.

Top Bottom