Identifying clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pgd

Guru
Location
East Grinstead
I've got some "dual-function" pedals knocking around from a second-hand bike purchase (I've never ridden clipless, so at the time I replaced them with standard two-sided flat pedals).
As my current pedals are wearing out, I'm wondering if I can make use of these dual-function ones -- in particular, whether I ought to give clipless a try. So, could anyone identify what sort of connection these are, and what shoes I'd need to look for? They're Shimano branded, but I can't see any other info.
Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20261010_184302.jpg
    IMG_20261010_184302.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 0

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
Shimano mountain bike shoes and two bolt style cleats and you are away. The system has not changed in years, and your pedals will be fully compatible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pgd

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Location
North Yorkshire
Last edited:

scotsbikester

Über Member
Yes, those are PD-M324. I bought a pair recently. Installed them for a while and then took them off. Nothing wrong with them, just a change of mind. They're good pedals, pretty much the "bog-standard" dual sided Shimanos, been around for ages.

The two pairs of shoes I use are:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m6b79s154p3382/EXUSTAR-Stelvio-SP-705-SPD-Shoes

and for a more "non-cycling shoe" look, these:

https://fawkes-cycles.co.uk/shimano-clothing-shimano-ge5-ge500-shoes-sand-beige-p34537

Both shoes worked well with the PD-M324, using these cleats:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/shimano-sh56-multi-release-spd-mtb-cleats-madsmsh56/

By the way, both those shoes worked fine on both sides of the pedals, the SPD side and the "flat" side (the side without the clip). Though worth remembering that as SPD shoes have a hole in the middle, where the clip goes, there's less sole surface to grip the pedal, if you're putting them on the non SPD side of the pedal. The GE5s especially have a very long section in the middle with no tread.

In terms of walking around off the bike, both shoes work, though there is a slight crunchiness from the Exustars on paving stones/tarmac. The GE5s don't have that, and in fact were fine for a march around a city in the rain yesterday. I barely knew I wasn't wearing ordinary shoes.
 
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
For a more budget option try sports direct, their Muddy Fox range of shoes are always discounted.

And a bit crap as the soles are a semi rigid plastic, and possibly not so good for walking/beginner as the general rubber grips aren't great (yes I've inspected them in store) I'd look at a trainer type that's SPD compatible or a better MTB shoe. You could always pick up a lightly used pair of decent shoes off ebay.
 
OP
OP
Pgd

Pgd

Guru
Location
East Grinstead
Brilliant, thanks everyone! I'll have a look around at the options.
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
And a bit crap as the soles are a semi rigid plastic, and possibly not so good for walking/beginner as the general rubber grips aren't great (yes I've inspected them in store) I'd look at a trainer type that's SPD compatible or a better MTB shoe. You could always pick up a lightly used pair of decent shoes off ebay.

they are so flexible when i looked at them you can bend the sole with your hands which isn't good for power transfer or hot foot sensation .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pgd
Top Bottom