Pedal assisted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Rules by state or country can be found here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like a generic Chinese controller.

Most of those are capable of supporting a throttle, and it may be possible to simply plug one in - there is some standardisation of connectors.

The knowledge to do that is beyond me, for that you would need an experienced kit builder.

Is the motor powerful enough to support a throttle?

The motors on some UK legal bikes don't work too well with a throttle because they are relatively low powered.

OK if you don't mind pedalling now and again, but a dead loss if you want to barrel up a steep hill with your feet in the air.

Throttles are also power hungry, so the range could be reduced to only a handful of miles - depending on the capacity of the battery.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
controller.jpg
Going by the pics I've posted does anyone know if im able to put a throttle on to my bike.
I am aware of the speed limit.
The bike is for off the road
I don't know if this can help

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Going by the pics I've posted does anyone know if im able to put a throttle on to my bike.
The pics you have posted don't show if there is a connection free that was designed for the throttle to connect to however it may be possible that the crank sensor uses this connection. You need to be aware that the controller outputs a 3 phase current to the motor and also has 3 sensor wires that tell it what the motor is doing and when to switch phases.

Our 2 e-Bikes have connections for the 2 brake cut-offs, a crank sensor/assist level control and a throttle. Do you have an unused connection?

OP
OP
C

Caz99

Thank you for all your help. I think I need to find someone who can look at my bike&help me from there as I haven't a clue about any of the wires. If there is anyone around west midlands UK area I could chat to about this please post
Thank you

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
does anyone know if im able to put a throttle on to my bike.

Do you want the throttle to be able to power your bike without any pedal input from the rider?

Do you know that the speed limit for throttle-only power will restrict you to a maximum of 3.7mph (6kph) before you then need to pedal?

By 'off road' do you mean on private land with the owner's permission or publicly accessible bike trails, forests, parks etc?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you for all your help. I think I need to find someone who can look at my bike&help me from there as I haven't a clue about any of the wires. If there is anyone around west midlands UK area I could chat to about this please post
Thank you

There's a bloke called Dave in Telford who is something of an ebike kit expert - he's been on the telly a few times and has also been consulted by ebike importers.

He recently fell out with one forum, but if you google his online nickname 'd8veh' you may find links to him.

OP
OP
C

Caz99

Private land.
Looking at the pictures I've posted does anyone know how I can derestrict my my speed limit its pedal assisted &cuts out at 15mph

OP
OP
C

Caz99

There's a bloke called Dave in Telford who is something of an ebike kit expert - he's been on the telly a few times and has also been consulted by ebike importers.

He recently fell out with one forum, but if you google his online nickname 'd8veh' you may find links to him.
Thank you

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You might want to try the pedelecs forum as well. It is a forum dedicated to ebikes.

OP
OP
C

Caz99

Can anyone tell me how I can derestrict this battery for my Barracuda electric bike please

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_215217.jpg
    IMG_20180711_215217.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20180711_215236.jpg
    IMG_20180711_215236.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
C

Caz99

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_074632.jpg
    IMG_20180713_074632.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20180713_074629.jpg
    IMG_20180713_074629.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 48

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There is no restriction on the battery, other than its chemistry.

If you are fortunate, there may be a command on the handlebar display to de-restrict the bike.

Google can be your friend here, search for the model number of the display and 'hidden' commands might be revealed.

If there's no way to de-restrict via the display, you need to find the controller. as mentioned in your other posts.

It may be in a compartment in the base of the battery, or in a separate box mounted elsewhere on the bike.

Top Bottom