Pedal Britain-Lejog.Too old for it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott addict

I’m considering trying the Lejog challenge for my 65th birthday With pedal Britain.has anyone here done this challenge with pedal Britain?if so what was the experience like?I’ve only told a few people who said I’m way too old it will kill me,forget about it.any advice help and comments very much appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's supported so takes the luggage out of the equation, but £2k !

bobzmyunkle

I’ve only told a few people who said I’m way too old it will kill me,forget about it.any advice help and comments very much appreciated.
Only you know the answer to that. I'm the same age and will be off to ride a similar distance in France in a couple of weeks. I'll take a bit longer but will be carrying my camping gear.
If you've never ridden a bike before, it might kill you. If you ride regularly, get out and do it, prove them wrong.
No pockets in a shroud.

robgul

Legendary Member
I rode JOGLE at 58 and LEJOG at 63 - not-supported, with one other rider - 14.5 days the first time, 12 the second carrying my own luggage both times, staying in B&Bs and pubs with rooms. No big deal!

Feedback I get on my www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk website for the tour operator, supported rides is largely positive - BUT expensive when you add the getting there and back + evening meals etc to the deal price.

On balance I thought that JOGLE was the better ride but the tour people don't seem to offer that.

My partner has just done LEJOG with Pedal Britain and was very happy with their service. Their web site seems to be a good match between what they say they'll do for you and how it was in practice. She'd use them again. There were several people on her trip, three out of twenty I think it was, who were older than you, including one in his mid-seventies, and they all made it to the end. So, go for it if you're generally fit enough to cycle 120km a day for a couple of weeks. Having full support, including the possibility of getting in the van if it really proves necessary, is a huge benefit psychologically.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I’m considering trying the Lejog challenge for my 65th birthday With pedal Britain.has anyone here done this challenge with pedal Britain?if so what was the experience like?I’ve only told a few people who said I’m way too old it will kill me,forget about it.any advice help and comments very much appreciated.

Unless your Doctor tells you to have more sense, ignore the nay sayers!

Not exactly the same type of challenge, but, at 64-65 I decided to learn to ride a motorcycle, and, take test. I signed up for the "big deal" ride any size bike etc. My wife thought it was hilarious and told just about everyone we knew. On the first day, surrounded by 18-20 year olds, I was terrified, if my wife had kept her mouth shut, I would have just crept off home, and forgotten about it, but, with everyone just waiting for a good laugh, no way, I got stuck in and passed first time.

If you are breathing, and healthy, you are not too old!

Best of luck to you.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Seems like a bargain for two weeks full board plus luggage transport plus support TBH.

OP
OP
Scott addict

Scott addict

Unless your Doctor tells you to have more sense, ignore the nay sayers!

Not exactly the same type of challenge, but, at 64-65 I decided to learn to ride a motorcycle, and, take test. I signed up for the "big deal" ride any size bike etc. My wife thought it was hilarious and told just about everyone we knew. On the first day, surrounded by 18-20 year olds, I was terrified, if my wife had kept her mouth shut, I would have just crept off home, and forgotten about it, but, with everyone just waiting for a good laugh, no way, I got stuck in and passed first time.

If you are breathing, and healthy, you are not too old!

Best of luck to you.

Brilliant story to inspire anyone.

OldShep

Über Member
I did my E2E aged 66 I never thought for one minute that age would be against me. I did however, in the 3 months beforehand, spend more time on a bike than ever before or since. I had 3000 mls in my legs before the off. Go for it OP it’s a great experience.

mikeIow

Guru
Sounds totally doable if you are reasonably healthy. Pay no attention to friends: this is a mental and physical challenge for YOU 💪

I did it ‘solo’, unsupported, when I was 56. See short thread in my signature!
I am not a regular cyclist: don’t cycle regularly with a group or anything. I had barely done more than occasional 30-40mile rides with pals over the previous 5 years. I had done LondonBrighton a few times, many years earlier years & I did London Paris for my 50th with a pal.
I would have baulked at an average of 72miles per day that they do (& perhaps still would): I took 19days on my hybrid and averaged 55 a day, with a couple of massive 84mile days hidden for good measure!

Their web site looks like they are well organised. Since Lon2Par, I’ve quite fancied cycling France…..their 2 week thing looks pretty good, I might consider that…..although looking closer, all their shots show people with racing bikes….I’d probably stay out on my hybrid, maybe I’m best off going solo 🤣

Last edited:
I'm 63 with two heart attacks and a double bypass behind me and I'm planning on doing the Wild Atlantic Way Audax next year which is 2100km in 7 days 7 hours , age is just a number but you will need to get the miles in beforehand otherwise it will be a challenge but for all the wrong reasons.

Top Bottom