pedal clunking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drewc65

Morning all. I have a sirrus and its running fine but when I stand up and pedal I get a clunking from the crank. Could it be because of the extra stress I am putting on it. Or is my bike telling me that I am too fat. All suggestions gratefully received

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Could be bottom bracket, worn chain/chainring, rear sprocket.
Move the chain from the front chainring and try rocking the crank arms from side to side any play or wobbling present indicates that the bottom bracket is on the way out (or possibly that the crank arms are too loose on the spindle - so check they are on tight first) If you revolve the crank with the chain off, any grating or roughness also indicates wear in the bottom bracket. Next look at the chainring that you use when the noise happens, are there any damaged teeth or excessive wear? (Be aware that modern chainrings often have some teeth shorter than others to improve smoothness of gear changes. If you put the chain back on and go to the front of the chainring at the 3o'clock position, try pulling the chain forwards. If when you do this, the chain comes away from the chainring completely so that there is a clear gap, this is a good indication that the chain/chainring are too worn. A chain wear checking tool is a better indicator, and you can also try measuring a set number of links to check for wear.
It won't be making a noise because you are too fat........but you may still be too fat!

Top Bottom