Pedal creaking on new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skrx

I have a two-month-old bike. This morning there was a creaking noise, which I had trouble identifying, but I eventually realised it was the left pedal. The right side pedal spins freely and smoothly, the left pedal hardly spins and creaks/clicks as it does. It doesn't wobble at all.

Unnecessarily long (30s) video of the pedal:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAPM3BDD52M

Is this likely to be a manufacturing defect, a problem with assembly, damage, or something I'm supposed to have maintained?

bottombracket

skrx said:
Is this likely to be a manufacturing defect, a problem with assembly, damage, or something I'm supposed to have maintained?

No.

It could be damaged by a heavy impact - but you would be aware of that (unless you were very, very drunk :wacko:).

Sadly, nowadays, manufacturers fit the cheapest pedals that they can.
They should last more than 2 months tho'.

In my opinion...
Visit the shop you bought it from and show them.
Insist (politely but firmly) that you want them replaced.
OR
That you want a decent discount on some better ones.

Norm

I have pedals which look exactly the same as that on my Giant MTB. I had to take them apart when they were 3 or 4 months old, to re-grease them. One side was still fine but the other had no grease left at all.

I decided to do the job myself rather than complain for two reasons. Firstly, I'd done plenty of cycling through deep-ish water during the summer, as there's a ford near me which the kids love playing in. Secondly, I enjoy tinkering and was happy at the excuse to have my pedals apart.

The first time I tried, it took about 30 minutes to strip and re-assemble the pedal, but much of that time was spent getting the right tools together and trying to figure out how to get the pedals apart. After a bit of practice, I had it down to about 5 minutes. :wacko:

HTH

OP
OP
S

skrx

It's a Giant bike (Giant Escape M0). There've been no knocks, I don't think I've even dropped it yet. There was some heavy rain in February, but the bike is usually under cover.

Time to contact the shop...

Norm

skrx said:
It's a Giant bike (Giant Escape M0).
Same pedals, I think. They are listed on the specs for my bike as "Giant Platform" but on the specs for the Escape M Zero as "Wellgo platform", they look exactly the same.

How handy are you with spanners? The bike shop should sort that but, if you can't get to them and you need the bike, sorting the bearings yourself is satisfying and you know the job is done. Mine are good as gold now.

Top Bottom