pedal extenders broken?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spiderman2

Über Member
Had both of my pedal extenders break yesterday, could have been dangerous had I not been riding slowly.
Anybody heard of these breaking before .
nuts.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've had one go. Specialized will replace them apparently *

* Which reminds me, I've never replaced mine that broke.

That design is an accident waiting to happen. The sharp transition from big to small will always break after time. The transition should have been given a small curve/radius. I am surprised they have not had an ambulance chaser lawyer on their case yet.

OP
OP
spiderman2

spiderman2

Über Member
That design is an accident waiting to happen. The sharp transition from big to small will always break after time. The transition should have been given a small curve/radius. I am surprised they have not had an ambulance chaser lawyer on their case yet.
Was always a little worried about the design,think I will send them back to supplier and see what they have to say.

Is anybody aware of any pedal extenders that don't follow the above design format?

A question for you engineers!! I have just taken delivery of a pair of pedal extenders from USA. Following the warnings raised by the OP I have contacted the supplier expressing my concerns. They have replied that as the units are milled from "billet steel",they are virtually impossible to.break.
Is there something in what they say, or is it load of humbug.
I am not an engineer so your replies would be appreciated.

Drago

Legendary Member
A question for you engineers!! I have just taken delivery of a pair of pedal extenders from USA. Following the warnings raised by the OP I have contacted the supplier expressing my concerns. They have replied that as the units are milled from "billet steel",they are virtually impossible to.break.
Is there something in what they say, or is it load of humbug.
I am not an engineer so your replies would be appreciated.

Billet is simply a posh engineering word for "nice big chunk of metal". Theyre usually extruded or cast. Basically, they're telling you nothing more than your extenders are carved out of a chunk of metal.

Billet is simply a posh engineering word for "nice big chunk of metal". Theyre usually extruded or cast. Basically, they're telling you nothing more than your extenders are carved out of a chunk of metal.

Billet can be a term of concern for this kind of loading though too, as strength can also be dependent on the grain direction too.

Top Bottom