Pedal fell off AGAIN!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
From the horse’s mouth:

Attachments

• 3EB93384-A06D-4C0E-A053-193EFEC092E5.jpeg
    3EB93384-A06D-4C0E-A053-193EFEC092E5.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

From the horse’s mouth:

I bought a mtb bb it came with 3 spacers , I bought a road bb it didn’t come with any, trust me I have been digging into this for hours, mtb need 3 as mountain bikes tend to have 73mm bb, road bikes tend to have 68 so don’t need any.

Your pic is probably in reference to mtb not road, I could post similar for road.

I do appreciate the help, not trying to come across as rude here.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They do say they are compatible with road bike?

Wouldn’t a spacer on the drive side leave even less spindles showing on the non drive side, so even less for the arm to grab onto?

Nope - doesn't work like that.

Yes they are compatible, but with gravel, you'll have bikes with 73mm and 68mm. Think about it, you are fitting the crankset to a 68mm BB, you'll have 5mm MORE axel sticking out. This doesn't give you 'more' axel to grab onto as they are designed to tighten into the tapered splines and will only go on so far. If you fit a spacer, it's allowing the crank to tighten and pre-load the bearings better. This is the issue, it's allowing too much space.

fossyant

I bought a mtb bb it came with 3 spacers , I bought a road bb it didn’t come with any, trust me I have been digging into this for hours, mtb need 3 as mountain bikes tend to have 73mm bb, road bikes tend to have 68 so don’t need any.

Your pic is probably in reference to mtb not road, I could post similar for road.

I do appreciate the help, not trying to come across as rude here.

But GRX will most likely have a longer MTB length axel. The BB cups are identical BTW.

Really need to dig into the instructions, I know it's a bloke thing (i.e. not reading them) but I've never had a crank fall off, square taper, GXP or hollowtech.

You are doing something wrong.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Nope - doesn't work line that.

Yes they are compatible, but with gravel, you'll have bikes with 73mm and 68mm. Think about it, you are fitting the crankset to a 68mm BB, you'll have 5mm MORE axel sticking out. This doesn't give you 'more' axel to grab onto as they are designed to tighten into the tapered splines and will only go on so far. If you fit a spacer, it's allowing the crank to tighten and pre-load the bearings better. This is the issue, it's allowing too much space.

You sound convincing, I will give it a go but I really can’t see it working as it would surely mean less sticking out not more! But I’ve tried everything else so here’s hoping.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

But GRX will most likely have a longer MTB length axel. The BB cups are identical BTW.

Really need to dig into the instructions, I know it's a bloke thing (i.e. not reading them) but I've never had a crank fall off, square taper, GXP or hollowtech.

Oh I know I am doing something wrong lol…the reason for the new crank is because the last one fell off too and that was fitted by the manufacturer! So something is not right here.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I read that the threads are longer on mtb? But read also they are the same, strange shimano (thanks) label one as road and the other as mtb if they are the same?

What instructions, I would gladly read them lol

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All I can say is that diagram I posted was from the Shimano dealers manual. I rest my case.

fossyant

GRX isn't a specific crankset (road or MTB only) - it's designed to use on any bike. MTB cranksets (Deore etc) usually require 73mm shells, so if fitting to a 68mm BB shell you'll need spacers, not if fitting to a 73mm BB.

You generally can't fit road cranksets to 73mm BB - e.g. 105/Ultegra.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

Last edited:

the snail

Guru
I think you need to know the exact model number of the crankset, and find the tech docs for it, and the bb. The model number is usually stamped on the back of the cranks, it should be FC-something. It definitely looks like you have 5mm too many spacers fitted somewhere though.

Top Bottom